X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pushbiker
    • Aug 2002

? re formatting dvd

Hi...
    I'm about to try a dvd-rw in my burner and I know that it will have to be formatted. I've got a vague memory of reading that you don't need to do a full format (long job)...a quick format is ok for new or used dvd-rw disks.
    Is my memory correct? Thanks for any help...Ken.

They would probably need the full trearment if already used with different software.
  • Experi-Mentor
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

## a full format (long job)...a quick format ##
    i think you're talking about "full erase" & "quick erase"
    yes. you will need to erase your "rw" of the previous data.
    the full rease, means just that "full erase" & takes longer. a quick erase - only erases the "f.a.t./t.o.c." (file-allocation-table / table-of-content), which is faster

## They would probably need the full trearment if already used with different software ##
    it shouldn't make any difference, try both & see (it's mostly only time you'll be wasting)

Comment

• sfheath
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Sep 2003

I've never been sure of what true purpose Full erase serves as I can't remember a problem I've had with a quick one.
      TMPGEnc DVD Author doesn't give a choice in the matter but if you are able to use DVD+RW there's a nice bonus that TDA erases them a heckuvalot quicker than DVD-RW .. mebbe it has to full-erase the minus ones and fast erases the pluses
      This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• cynthia
        Super Moderatress
        • Jan 2004

Re: ? re formatting dvd

Originally posted by pushbiker
        They would probably need the full trearment if already used with different software.
        I don't think so and most burning programs will do it for you.

Comment

• pushbiker
          • Aug 2002

Thanks for the comments...no I meant format I'm sure. The last lot of CD-RW that I did had been burned with roxio software and to use them on a new machine with software called B'sClip there was a choice of two formats, Quick format or full format the sane as you get for a floppy format.

The full format was about twenty minutes, which I gave it to clear all the old roxio stuff off.

I was alarmed at the thought of how long would a DVD-RW take to do a full format but as it turned out when I put a blank DVD in and requested a format it did the job in two or three minutes.

I did a few saves and deletes and it seems to be fine. Maybe it was quick because the disk was quite blank.

Cheers Ken.

Comment

• sfheath
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Sep 2003

AFAIK formatting is only required for Random Access for Data modes, not for DVD movie compatibility.
            Personally, I have never bothered with formatting DVD's as multisession covers most of the features .. unless you're going to do a lot of deletes!
            This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

## I've never been sure of what true purpose Full erase serves as I can't remember a problem I've had with a quick one ##
              a "quick erase" only removes the "toc" info to make it appear as being "blank".
              a "full erase" is used to fully erase both "toc & data".
              i think "erase" is a wrongly used term. "scramble" is more like it

a "full erase" is needed when a "quick erase" fails.
              if "full erase" fails, then ask a friend to do it (in another/different burner)
              after 50+ burns, the media starts to break-up, & "full erasing" on a different burner - revitalises the rw (sounds stupid - i know). i also do the same for my mates, & this prolongs the life of a "rw"

Comment

Working...