Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mfdoc
    • Mar 2005

Reading and Writing speed problems

I have backed up around 40 DVD’s of mine with no problems whatsoever. Just yesterday I started having problems with the speed I am writing at. I usually burn between 4X and 8X with DVD Decryptor and Nero. I have now noticed I can burn at no higher than 2X, no matter what media I am using. It allows me to set it to 4X or 8X, but it sill burns at 2X. This is occurring with Nero and DVD Decryptor. I am assuming this is an issue with my burner itself, which is a one month old 16X Plextor PX-716A. It also feels like the Plextor is reading at a much slower rate as well. Any ideas on what I can do to correct this issue or if I can run some kind of test on the device itself?

NE
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Is DMA still enabled?

Check your DMA settings - How ? do this -> Go to Control Panel> System> Hardware Tab> Device Manager> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers> Right Click Primary IDE channel (and Secondary IDE channel after you finish with Primary)> Properties> Advanced Settings Tab> Transfer Mode or <a href="http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616">click here to learn.</a>

Do the above from both "Primary & Secondary IDE channels".

I (We) need to know whats in both "Transfer Mode" and "Current Transfer Mode". Screen shot below is what I'm talking about.

You can also look here for some other solutions: http://sniptools.com/vault/getting-b...windows-xp.htm

Comment

• mfdoc
      • Mar 2005

I have it set to "DMA if available", but it is still showing PIO mode, is it safe to hack the registry?

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"is it safe to hack the registry?"

NO - DON'T do that. It's possible that you may have to enable DMA via your BIOS. You will have to refer to your computer's documentation on how to do that.

Comment

• mfdoc
          • Mar 2005

Thanks guys! I did a system restore to a week ago and I'm back to DMA mode. Wow, what a difference it makes. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

Glad to hear that you resolved your problem...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

i have THE EXACT SAME SITUATION with my lite on dvd writer but didn't see anyone with similar trouble here before. this has been like this for a while so i don't wan't to use system restore because a lot of changes have been made on my system since. anyone know what causes this?
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To columbo999

I believe you should be able to find a way to resolve your dilemma, without performing a system restore, in either of these two threads:

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

to setarip

well i had a look through thosand have checked out the dma settings before. they always say "dma if available" for primary and secondary. i did notice this in the primary(see attachment), transfer mode 6? the screen shot of other people are both as 5, for device 0 and 1.

also, what if i physically disconnected the writer and reconnected it?

ty for your assistance
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by LT. Columbo; 17 Mar 2005, 03:23 PM.
                  "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                  Columbo moments...
                  "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

To columbo999

I was actually trying to, but couldn't, find a thread that pointed out the fact that (If I remember correctly) after cumulative six failed burn attempts, although WinXP information (just like your posted JGP) may show that DMA is in effect, in fact the drive is in PIO mode.

I believe the following information from "cynthia" that appears in the second thread I listed, may resolve your situation without performing a System Restore:

"For Windows XP:

1. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
                    2. Click System Tools, and then click Device Manager.
                    3. Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers node.
                    4. Double-click the controller for which you want to restore the typical DMA transfer mode.
                    5. Click the Driver tab.
                    6. Click Uninstall.
                    7. When the process completes, restart your computer. When Windows restarts, the hard disk controller is re-enumerated and the transfer mode is reset to the default value for each device that is connected to the controller."

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

to setarip

ty setarip for you response. i think we are gonna solve this mystery...i can smell it.

"after cumulative six failed burn attempts"

this DID happen way back when i first got this dvd writer and was unknowingly using the wrong media(since then the problem stayed)I was using an -rw disc and it failed 4,5 maybe 6 times in a row untill i finally put another disc in to get it to work.. i think your hypothesis is correct.

i will definetly try your suggestion, but before i do, any chance of it changing something on the pc or causing problems whatsoever?

the reason i ask is that everything works nicely now, even the disc burning(as i exclusively use quality 4x media). so as this isn't really a dilemma at this time, i would like however to correct this to how the writer should operate.

ty for your assistance setarip
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

"before i do, any chance of it changing something on the pc or causing problems whatsoever?"

Although I think not, since I provided you with a methodology suggested by "cynthia", if I were you, I'd ask that question directly of "cynthia" (perhaps post it in the DVDShrink sub-forum, since "cynthia" is a moderator there)...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

to setarip

ok, at the moment i have a 100 spindle that was given to me and is "incompatible" with my writer according to lite-on, but these have been problem free thus far. before i make any changes on my pc, i'm gonna use up these discs. i will post a thread in the future to let you see(and others) of the results.

ty again setarip---i have a feeling it will work
                          Columbo moments...

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

As always, it's my pleasure - especially when dealing with pleasant posters ;>}

(So, you don't believe I'm the head of Criminal Investigations for the MPAA?)

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                              Demigod of Digital Video
                              • Nov 2004

to setarip

lol, i knew you would eventually respond to that other thread!
                              Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎