X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZZ-Diego
    • Feb 2005

Info: backing up DVD film onto CD

Hi,

just wanted to inform that there´s a solution for backing up DVDs to CDs and still being playable on hardware dvd player. But its necessary to reduce resolution to 1/4d1 (still dvd compilant though)

please follow my guide here:
    authoring vcd/svcd
    -> "non-svcd compilant mpeg-2 on cd?"

greetz
    ZZ-Diego
    Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd, you look out for one another.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) You haven't provided a link

2) Are you talking about something DIFFERENT from this well-known method?:

Alt SVCD2VCD

Use TMPGEnc as follows:

File>>MPEGTools>>Simple Multiplex

Load your SVCD file

Change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD"

Enter a new filename in the "Output" box

Press the "Run" radio button

(Do not be concerned about any "Buffer underflow" messages you may see)

Burn (DO NOT ask burning software, such as NERO to CONVERT to VCD, rather merely BURN as a VCD)

Comment

• ZZ-Diego
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by setarip
      1) You haven't provided a link
      ohhhh allright setarip, thought it would be clear because of given "authoring vcd/svcd" topic description. So here it is:

2) Are you talking about something DIFFERENT from this well-known method?
      Please don´t fool me.....yeah its totally different! I am talking about dvd vob data burned on cd and prepared cds for hardware dvd players. Or to make it reasonable and understandable.....you may not need svcd anymore which is limited to mp1 sounds! Within this method you reduce bitrate and resolution of vobs to fit on 2cds to a format called 1/4d1 [low resolution dvd format]. But you still have dolby digital 5.1 sound and good hardware dvd player compatibility but less resolution if the film should fit on 2cds. Of course y´could also burn the complete film in dvd high resolution on cds with this method, but who would do that? That would mean arround 7-13cds...

greetz
      ZZ-Diego
      Last edited by ZZ-Diego; 4 Apr 2005, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Just to let you know (no response by you necessary), I really don't understand either of your statements:

"ohhhh allright setarip, thought it would be clear because of given "authoring vcd/svcd" topic description"

"Please don´t fool me.....yeah its totally different!"

Comment

• blutach
          Not a god of digital video
          • Oct 2004

@ZZ-Diego

Thank you for the info, but the limitations on size and quality, coupled with the fact that blank DVDs are now "cheap as chips", I really can't see the value in it.

Just my opinion.

Regards
          Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
          [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To blutach

As you are well aware, these forums are addressed by folks of all ages, in all parts of the world, with varying systems and degrees of financial well-being. DVD media may be "cheap as chips" to you, but it, and the required DVD burner may not be affordable to others.

The Digital Digest forum still contains active sub-forums specific to VCDs, SVCDs, and .AVIs (DivX-compressed and otherwise), as they continue to be viable formats worthy of posting about.

I would hope that "ZZ-Diego" clearly understands that, as you stated, you are voicing your personal opinion and not speaking on behalf of any other poster(s) (or the forum) who can and do still relate to these formats...

Comment

• blutach
              • Oct 2004

@setarip

It must be late in your part of the world, or your specs are not on.

I did say, quite clearly, that it was "just my opinion" (which you acknowleged), which I trust, you feel I am not only entitled to have, but also to voice. I also wonder how anyone could imply that I speak for other posters (who does?) or the forum itself. I am not a moderator; this is easily determined. Nor do I have any financial or managerial interest in the forum (contrary to your own claim on 1 April 2005 ).

I also never questioned the viability of these other formats or whether DD should have sub-forums devoted to them. I don't know how you could read that into my post.

As well, ZZ-Diego has posted in a DVD sub-forum, if I'm not mistaken, so I must take it that this is relevant to DVD.

However, as usual, you make some good points, too. So, thanks for that.

Have a good night

Regards
              Last edited by blutach; 4 Apr 2005, 07:12 PM.
              Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
              [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Comment

• ZZ-Diego
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by blutach
                [b ]Thank you for the info, but the limitations on size and quality, coupled with the fact that blank DVDs are now "cheap as chips", I really can't see the value in it.
                Just my opinion.[/b]

...it started as an experiment to see if its possible to burn dvd related videos on cds and still being compatible to hardware dvd player and also i´m still leaking plextor dl dvd burner in my system :lol:

- i hope to effort one next year -

on the otherhand....what else sould i do with my hundreds of cds? I think i never could fill them up with plain data or word documents *g*.

@setarip
                yes, y´re right with that degree of financial being and also compression is still used cause dvd recordables are still NOT CHEAP in my opinion if used for video data. So compression is needed again. Y´can use this method of course for dvd burning aswell! So with dvd media easily 12h would fit onto a double layer OR 6-7h onto a single dvd. The point is, what quality is needed for normal house home video systems....normaly vcd/svcd will do the job nicely but i guess in next years most people can effort dl dvd recordables and just copies 1to1.

i love cds *sniff*

but i just heard recently from freak discussions that cds will never die...we will see that

I would hope that "ZZ-Diego" clearly understands that, as you stated, you are voicing your personal opinion
                its okay setarip, thanks. I think i got him quite straight away .

This method just completes and adds some more ideas whats possible though with encoding formats. I am sure someone would post this question at one day , so actually here´s the answer. What a future orientated digital video forum! Great *g*

@blutach
                You mention quality in the normal home video system. It would be hugely speculative for me to say anything on what is "normal" without research data. They range so much, don't they?
                sorry to add...i didn´t say "normal" did i? I was talking about home entertainment and what quality is actually (from point of a cinema wide broad screen and) is able to be enjoyed. Although its possible to buy a effortable 5.1 surround home system in these days, what about buying a wide screen?? So in my opinion resolution and best encoder rulez.

greetz
                ZZ-Diego
                Last edited by ZZ-Diego; 4 Apr 2005, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• ZZ-Diego
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by blutach
                  As well, ZZ-Diego has posted in a DVD sub-forum, if I'm not mistaken, so I must take it that this is relevant to DVD.
                  hey buddy, i am still talking about DVD formats but its also a non-compilant svcd (vob contains mpeg-2).

along there are these STANDARD DVD formats:
                  NTSC:
                  Full D1 (720x480)
                  Half D1 (352x480)
                  1/4 D1 (352x240) <--- thats what we are talking about

PAL:
                  Full D1 (720 x 576)
                  Half D1 (352 x 576)
                  1/4 D1 (352 x 288) <--- thats what we are talking about

...these formats are more compatible to most hardware players than svcd because SVCD is no STANDARD!

greetz
                  ZZ-Diego

Comment

• blutach
                    • Oct 2004

Well, ZZ-Diego, there's lots of things you can do with 100s of CDs and you seem to have thought of another application (rather than just coasters for huge parties/frisbees etc).

Certainly MP4 is something which could help you use many of those CDs. However, I recognise that standalone DVD players are lagging in their ability to play these files.

You mention quality in the normal home video system. It would be hugely speculative for me to say anything on what is "normal" without research data. They range so much, don't they? However, with bitrates down around 1500Mbps, folks with large screens might have quality problems, even with the best encoder around.

But, I do agree, that in coming years, media prices willing, most people will be doing DL copies. I am not so sure the cost of DL media is coming down all that quickly, although I know setarip has a contrary view.

Regards
                    Last edited by blutach; 4 Apr 2005, 07:30 PM.
                    Les

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

To blutach

blutach - "Thank you for the info, but the limitations on size and quality, coupled with the fact that blank DVDs are now "cheap as chips", I really can't see the value in it."

blutach - "I also never questioned the viability of these other formats or whether DD should have sub-forums devoted to them. I don't know how you could read that into my post."

I haven't read anything into, "I really can't see the value in it."

("I also wonder how anyone could imply that I speak for other posters (who does?) or the forum itself."

I'm guessing you meant "infer"...)

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎