• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • froggythrower
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Apr 2005

Help with buying discs for Sony Vaio PCV-V1/g

Please can anyone help me with buying the best and most importantly of all cheapest reliable discs for my SONY PCV-V1/G VAIO Desktop. It only burn DVD-R and only at 1x speed, it has a mat****a UJ810 optical drive with C105 firmware. On the sony Vaio forum webpage the answer i get is there is'nt any new firmware updates fot this drive and TDK/VERBATIM/SONY or any discs with RITEC R4 coating on them but reading the problems from JTnVA user on this site RITEK R4 dont get very good reviews and I cant find cake tubs of any of the above discs at good prices anywhere! I was using EMTEC discs but after 300 good burns I have now had 15 discs in a row that wont finalise but the Sony and Tdk discs work fine but cost so darn much. HELP HELP HELP or should I just go and buy a new PIONEER 109 external burner and be done with it all
    Regards Froggy

• setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I was using EMTEC discs but after 300 good burns I have now had 15 discs in a row that wont finalise"

You're burner is probably due for a cleaning with a DVD/CD cleaning disc. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...

Comment

• JTnVA
      • Feb 2005

"reading the problems from JTnVA user on this site RITEK R4 dont get very good reviews"

Most people have great luck with the Riteks. I am just bitter because I stupidly purchased 100 w/o trying them out first. The guy at Supermediastore.com said they will take them back, so not as big of a deal now.
      I purchased the Ritek+R's and they work perfectly. I honestly think the issues I had with the -R discs was due to my standalones, not the discs.
      Thanks,
      JTnVA

Comment

• froggythrower
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by setarip
        "I was using EMTEC discs but after 300 good burns I have now had 15 discs in a row that wont finalise"

You're burner is probably due for a cleaning with a DVD/CD cleaning disc. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...
        I have already cleaned my burner with an original Sony cleaning set just to make sure, that was the first thing I thought of,sorry dude
        Regards Froggy

Comment

• froggythrower
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JTnVA
          "reading the problems from JTnVA user on this site RITEK R4 dont get very good reviews"

Most people have great luck with the Riteks. I am just bitter because I stupidly purchased 100 w/o trying them out first. The guy at Supermediastore.com said they will take them back, so not as big of a deal now.
          I purchased the Ritek+R's and they work perfectly. I honestly think the issues I had with the -R discs was due to my standalones, not the discs.
          And your saying your stupid! No way man, I was the dumbass that bought a brand new sony pc not six months ago without fully reading the specifications only to get it home,running,and then realise it only burns at 1x, I AM THE STUPID ONE MATE
          Regards Froggy

Comment

• JTnVA
            • Feb 2005

LOL well, do like I am doing now....think about this mistake before making the next purchase. If you go buy another burner and it only burns at 1.5x, then yes, you have me beat.
            Thanks,
            JTnVA

Comment

• froggythrower
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JTnVA
              LOL well, do like I am doing now....think about this mistake before making the next purchase. If you go buy another burner and it only burns at 1.5x, then yes, you have me beat.
              For sure brother, I think I am going to buy an external burner and read from my internal drive, have posted another question as to which model to buy on the hardware thread, pioneer 109 takes my fancy at present but will listen to the feed back this time,thanks for your help anyway
              Regards Froggy

Comment

Working...