X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powrtoch
    • Apr 2005

dead burner??

hi everyone,
    this is by far the most informative and instructional site I have found on the 'net and have found answers to every puzzle I've encountered in regards to DVD burning, except one. Now I really need some help.
    I use DVD shrink 3.2, decrypter (sometimes) and Nero 6.6 for backing up DVD's. My system is a Dell Dimension P4 running Win XP and my burner is an NEC 1100A with what I believe to be the latest firmware version 'GE'.
    I've made about 60 backups, with about a 99% success rate and have been more than happy with it. However, starting about a week ago my burner decided not to recognise discs - the old 'power calibration error'. I'd bought a pack of cheap TDK's that I'd never used before, so wasn't too concerned and exchanged them for discs I was familiar with. The problem continues, with every disc coming up with the same error. I re-flashed the drive, uninstalled and re-installed Nero but to no avail. I accept this may happen from time to time, but with every brand of disc? This is killing me. I'ts gotta be the burner, but before I scrap it any advice will be appreciated.
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

powrtoch, welcome to the forums! Thank you for the great compliments.

I get a 'Power calibration error' or 'Calibration area (almost) full' error message. Why?

Power Calibration is controlled by the recorder.

Before any write operation, all recorders must do a 15 step power test to determine the optimum power for writing to the CD; this is called "Optimum Power Calibration"(OPC). During the write, it continues to do this test to get the best write throughout the whole CD; this is called "Running Optimum Power Calibration" (ROPC).

This whole process is controlled by the recorder, though initiated by programs such as Nero. There is an area on the inner part of the CD for the test and test data info to be stored. You can use this area up to 999 times.

If you receive the "Power calibration error" or "Power calibration area is (almost) full" error message, the cause will be either poor media, poor power, or a defective recorder.

Please try the following solutions:

1. Update the firmware of your recorder. Please check the manufacturer's website for the latest version.

2. Try another brand of media.

3. Try different power connectors, and for recorders, do not share power with other devices. It needs its own power connector. If the error occurs with an external recorder, the power source in the chassis could be the cause. As a test, try to take the recorder out of the external chassis and connect it internal.

4. Try different configurations, such as taking the CD-ROM to the primary IDE bus as slave and have only the recorder connected to the secondary IDE bus as master.

5. Send the recorder in for service.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

Your "power calibration error" could be indicative of a failing burner

OR (If you're lucky)

You may simply have to run a DVD/CD cleaning disc on your burner. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

to setarip

you must really like that maxell cleaner, i have never seen you suggest any other!
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

He has stock in Maxell.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"you must really like that maxell cleaner, i have never seen you suggest any other!"

I tend to stick with what works ;>}

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

yes setarip, so do i. a very good practice indeed.
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• powrtoch
                • Apr 2005

Thanks for the advice setarip - I'll give it a go. Thankyou too, jmet, but I know what the power calibration is (thanks to these forums) I just don't believe that out of 50 discs only 2 or 3 would work and then to change brands to one that i KNOW works and have the same problem...? Does anyone know if there is a newer firmware for the NEC 1100A than the one i have?

Comment

• cynthia
                  Super Moderatress
                  • Jan 2004

10GE seems to be the latest one for you.

Don't know if the patched firmwares available here will work on your burner. http://www.herrie.org/

When NEC releases a firmware update for their own drives, they build in a check based on firmware version in order to determine if a drive is an OEM-version or not. The firmware update can therefore not be applied to OEM-drives.

This check can simply be bypassed by using a custom firmware update utility made by Liggy or The Dangerous Brothers and a plain binary file.

You find the links to Liggy and The Dangerous Brothers in herries webpage.
                  Last edited by cynthia; 15 Apr 2005, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"Thanks for the advice setarip - I'll give it a go."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• powrtoch
                      • Apr 2005

well, I did what you suggested setarip and after cleaning the lens got one burn happening, then no more, but found something odd - a disc that was reported as having a 'power calibration error' using DVD shrink and Nero, burnt without a hitch after creating an ISO file and burning with Decrypter! As I understand it, 'PCE' is controlled by the burner, so why does Decrypter work without a problem when it's using the same burner? Is Power calibration really controlled by the burner, or is it something within Nero?

Comment

• blutach
                        Not a god of digital video
                        • Oct 2004

PCE is a burner/media thing. Maybe you got lucky this time. Maybe also you should stick with DVD Decrypter and see if it continues to give good results (it does for me - not 1 bad burn).

Regards
                        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

To powrtoch

"I did what you suggested setarip and after cleaning the lens got one burn happening, then no more"

To me, this sounds like the very typical pattern exhibited by a burner that's "on the verge of death". The burner may also begin to generate false "successful burns" - but you've certainly got little to lose, other than, perhaps, a few blank discs, by following the suggestion made by "blutach".

There may be a difference in the methodology employed by the burner in burning one continuous .ISO image file and burning different files and file structure information - and it may be that a faltering drive can continue to successfully burn .ISO image files while failing to successfully burn DVD file "packages".

Stranger things have been known to happen ;>}
                          Last edited by setarip; 17 Apr 2005, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Working...