Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vicissitude
    • Apr 2005

Hopefully a simple question.

Suppose I were to want to burn a series of .mpg/.avi 's to a DVD in such a way as to view it on a DVD player later. Is it possible to record to a DVD-R to view that way? If not, what steps would I have to take to make it so?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Is it possible to record to a DVD-R to view that way?"

Yes - As long as your standalone DVD player is capable of playing (such as the Philips DVP 642) .AVIs and MPEGs.

Otherwise, you'll have to convert the files to standard DVD formats...

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Vicissitude
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by setarip
      Yes - As long as your standalone DVD player is capable of playing (such as the Philips DVP 642) .AVIs and MPEGs.

Otherwise, you'll have to convert the files to standard DVD formats...
      Simple enough. How would I determine that?

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

burn one and try it or check here in the dvd player section www.videohelp.com

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎