X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macstar
    • Mar 2002

dvd cdrw software

hi all!

i've got a toshiba sdw 2002 dvd ram drive and a yamaha 6416 cdrw... old but does all i need! i need software to burn to both of them but...

1. vob instant write 3.1 messes up my antivirus and firewall... i can get no help from toshiba... i don't want to use that!

2.easy cd platinum 5 has problems at the minute...

3. nero doesn't do dvd ram!

what software does anyone recommend i use for both cdrw and dvd ram... it's mostly just for backup of files.

thanks.

oh! a demo would be nice but who lets you try a demo?
  • Ndb
    • Mar 2002

Not even the latest Nero ?? (they give you a demo).

I'm realy to into DVD Ram, as I like DVD-R so I can play them in standard DVD Players.

Comment

• macstar
      • Mar 2002

well... i spent an hour downloading the latest nero... it says i can use an "image recorder..." it doesn't leap to identify my toshiba dvd ram! so i'm sitting waiting for the software... it all seems to be lacking dvd ram support!!!

Comment

• Ndb
        • Mar 2002

I only asked a question : "Not even the latest Nero ??" I did not expect you to just go download it

Which version did you download as version 5.5.7.8 (latest) clearly states support for DVD-Ram.

It even talks about fixing bugs with DVD-Ram from version history:

snippet below:-

Changes from Nero 5.5.5.1 -> 5.5.6.4

"Fixed bug of not showing write speed for DVD-RAM/DVD-R drive Matshita LF-D310."

Just don't like your drive I suppose.

Comment

• macstar
          • Mar 2002

he he... no actually i downloaded it earlier in the day. after a i asked " hi can anyone tell me of any software that definately works with my drives..."

this was in another forum... blind posting i guess!!! it is not in their "drive that work list..." well i've done all i can with nero
          as i say!

easy cd 5 platinum "works" with mine at half speed and only if you do not use he eject button!!! or it thinks the disk is in the drive when it is not! could very easily lose data like this...

and vob instant write has lead to my system being hacked! i'm at a loss!

Comment

• Ndb
            • Mar 2002

The real trouble with DVD-Ram is that Windows etc treat as a removal HDD or big Floppy and this can often cause probs with Burning app's.

I found this, but know nought about it except it's for writing to DVD-Ram and is ok with Win2k. http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware..._utils_4.shtml

Here is the direct link to the download: http://www.megagames.com/console/cd/writedvd.exe

Comment

• macstar
              • Mar 2002

yeah thanks for that... i've seen that there before. i run win 98... i just want 1 app to do cdrw and dvd ram... i can't seem to be able to buy software with my config!!! (dvd ram.)

i've never liked ezcd creator but i thought it would be ok with all the other incarnations since i used it ie. from ezcd 3... still the same kind of problems though... they've just done a major bugfix from 5.0d to 5.1 but now it's added other problems... it won't let me fully format my dvd ram etc! so i might return it and wait for their "hitchcock" dvd software...

the other companies don't let you download a demo... ie "sai..." damn it! i don't know what will work!

Comment

• Ndb
                • Mar 2002

I went on the WriteDVD homepage and there software is for Win98/ME/2k etc.

Comment

• macstar
                  • Mar 2002

none for download though! so you have to spend your money on stuff that might not even work... as i say!

Comment

• Ndb
                    • Mar 2002

http://www.slaughterhouse.com/cdr8.html loads of demos (shareware)

Comment

• macstar
                      • Mar 2002

well... there were only 2 cd/ dvd writers (software)

gear pro dvd
                      instant write/ instant suite... "vob" so no thanks!

gear has some elements in the demo i can't live with:

1. if you scroll to format disk (easy done/ accidently) it will do that with out prompting!!! easy lose 4gb of data!!!
                      2. it recognised the toshiba drive... but only writes at 1 speed??? erm...
                      3. it formated my 4.7gb disk to 1.99gb???

damn it!

Comment

• Ndb
                        • Mar 2002

It's generally quite normal for demos to write at 1 speed (Nero & CDclone demo did this), plus it could be the same for the 1.99gb too. Read the doc that may have come with it for limitations of the demo.

Comment

• macstar
                          • Mar 2002

ok i'll conceed that demo 1 speed thingy... i can't seem to get back on "gears" site... might be my firewall... i'll get the manual when i can!

i was assuming the worst after my experience with ezcd 5 platinum... that only writes at 1 speed (???) i also can't find the specs on my dvd ram i thought it wrote and read at 2x dvd ram! yeah it reads at 2x but i doesn't actually "say" anywhere that it does write at 2 x!!! but i am sure this was the case!

ok... while i'm at it the big problems with ezcd are:

1. it writes at 1 speed.

2. it doesn't "lock" the drive... you can manually eject with the button (unlike my cdrw) this causes a problem if you do "accidently" press it, the "os" still sees the disk in the drive when it's took out... if you put another disk in... it thinks the new disk is the old one!!! could cause problems! software ejecting is ok!

3. i wrote a cd as cdrom xa "close session, not disk" and when i came back to write to it, it said the disk was "not writeable" and there was no session to import... mmm... this was a kodak silver gold cdr. perhaps not suitable for my cdrw drive??? i thought they were pretty good!

Comment

• Ndb
                            • Mar 2002

Well for starters here's the website for your drive:

While your there checkout the FAQ section which states that their DVD drive's are shipped with, guess what, yes you guessed it WRITE DVD In the manual section they mension Vob InstantWrite and Vob InstantBackup.

All your spec's are there, plus manual and trouble shooting.

Answers (if any)

1. write 1 speed? possibly

2. don't lock drive? put a bit of tape over it

3. XA not writeable? don't know never had the problem.

Comment

• macstar
                              • Mar 2002

yeah i've been on the toshiba site... hey the url is missing on your post! did you have another site in mind? they mention everything but "write" i'm sure it was 2x under the vob software... so i don't know why it's 1x under anything else...

i tried to get to get toshiba to give me "write dvd" but they wouldn't!!! i'm in the uk... it ships with that in the usa! damn... i can't download it...

1. ??? yeah... well...

2. as long as most people do this i don't mind doing it... i had the idea of using super glue... it won't be able to be pressed then!!! (i best be carefull though...) i managed to get a second dvd ram front drive cover thingy off toshiba for this purpose... so i can glue the other one!

3. i'll try some other media...

Comment

Working...