Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zad1
    • Apr 2005

Rescue a Rewritable disc after a bad burn

Is it possible to rescue a rewritable? I was having trouble getting my DVDwriter to do sucessful burns. (Problem now solved, hopefully, after firmware upgrade and different brand of media.)
    While I was experimenting, I got a rewritable disc, hoping to avoid throwing away duds until I sorted out what I was doing.

I tried burning an ISO backup from Shrink onto it, using DVDDecrypter, but the write process never got started. The system just kind of hung for half an hour until I got fed up and tried to stop it. Had to reboot in the end.

Now I have this rewritable disc which does nothing, appears to have no data on it, but won't even be recognised by my player, or any info tools I can find. DVDIdentifier just says 'incompatible medium installed'. Nero Infotool just says 'no disc'.

But it is a TDK DVD-RW 4x, so it should be a fairly good one.

Can't tell you any other media ID for the disc since info tools won't read it anymore.

Is there any way to wipe whatever is on it and get it back to a useable state?
  • yhsaf
    • Jan 2005

Have you tried erasing (no fast erase, use the complete one) the ReWriteable using Nero or some other tool like CloneCD/CloneDVD?

I don't have TDK DVD-RW but some TDK DVD+RW (1-4x single sided), perhaps the media ID will help?!

Comment

• zad1
      • Apr 2005

Yes. It said 'illegal medium. Insert re-writable', when it was already in there.
      Nero's 'disc info' says 'acessing medium please wait' for ages, then says, 'no medium detected or drive not ready'.
      I didn't think I could trash a rewritable.
      Last edited by zad1; 9 May 2005, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2004

ask a friend with a dvd burner to try/do it for you.
        if that doesn't fix it, then it looks a "R.I.P." for the rw

Comment

• cynthia
          Super Moderatress
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by zad1
          I didn't think I could trash a rewritable.
          Believe me - based on own experience - you can - even with Verbatims.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎