Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TMacPsu
    • May 2005

Problems with DVD Burner/Software

I have burned over 100 projects with my Sonic RecordNow! software used in a DVD+RW _NEC-3100AD internal drive. Just yesterday, after never having received an error message, my burner will now only successfully burn every 1 out of 3 discs I put in the drive. When the burn fails, the error message states that it is a faulty disc.

My questions are:

1) out a 50 pack of TDK DVD+R (8x) discs, can there be that many damaged discs? (I store them so that 0 should be scratched).

2) could it be DVD Burner's laser? It still is able to burn cds.

3) could it be the software that I use?

I bought the computer in October and have not updated any of the software used in the burning process. Any help would be much appreciated.
  • Experi-Mentor
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2004

welcome to the forum

it could be your blanks, but it also sounds like your burner.
    try burning at 2X or 4X (no multi-tasking), & wait at least 1 hour between burns (burners need to cool-down).
    you could also try a "lens cleaning kit".

** Sonic RecordNow ** never had the pleasure

Comment

• TMacPsu
      • May 2005

E-M,

Thanks for your quick response. I'm not sure what you mean by "try burning at 2X or 4X (no multi-tasking)". Could you explain that further.

Also, is there a lens cleaning kit that you suggest?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

what experi-mentor means is your burn speed 2x, 4x etc. and have only the burning application running, nothing else.

maxell makes a lens cleaning disc for about 10 bucks u.s. and is widely suggested here....
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Nov 2004

try burning at 2X or 4X "speed"

a "cd" lens cleaner will also do the trick. look in your local electronic/pc/department store

"multi-tasking" = running of other programs (know or unaware) (anti-virus programs & the like). in other words - don't burden your pc with un-needed programs running during ripping/burning

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2004

thanks columbo999. i was called away during my reply, & thus my delay

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

your welcome, anytime.

oh, one more thing. columbo is fine....i only used the "999" cause someone already used my name...
              Last edited by LT. Columbo; 29 May 2005, 10:09 AM.
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• TMacPsu
                • May 2005

Experi-Mentor,

I bought a DVD Laser cleaner and new media, plus I shut down any none essential programs on my computer but I still received the same result -- faulty disc error message. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Comment

• cynthia
                  Super Moderatress
                  • Jan 2004

Check your DMA settings.

Comment

• TMacPsu
                    • May 2005

Cynthia,

My DMA Settings are set for "DMA if available".

I was just able to use the Burner to write to a DVD+RW disc, but it continues to fail when trying to write to a DVD+R disc.

Comment

• cynthia
                      Super Moderatress
                      • Jan 2004

The only setting that's interesting is the one 'Current Transfer Mode'.

Is that one DMA or PIO?

Comment

• TMacPsu
                        • May 2005

Cynthia,

Both are set at DMA Ultra Mode 2.

Comment

• cynthia
                          Super Moderatress
                          • Jan 2004

Then it's not that that's causing the problem.

The media you are using is it the same as before (when it worked). You could try to use this program http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ to see if the media code is the same for the old working discs as for your new ones.

You could also try to burn with www.dvddecrypter.com - just to rule out your burning software as the problem. Save the log file from that program if it don't work - it will tell us something about your system.

Comment

• TMacPsu
                            • May 2005

Cynthia,

Thanks again for all your help!

I checked the discs like you instructed; below are the results:

** INFO : Drive = _NEC DVD+RW ND-3100AD [FW 107E]
                            ** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+RW DVD+R DVD+R-DL
                            ** INFO : Disc = [DVD+R:CMC MAG-E01-000]

** INFO : An Empty Writable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
                            ** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
                            Descriptor #1 = 11080 KBPS ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
                            Descriptor #2 = 8310 KBPS ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
                            Descriptor #3 = 5540 KBPS ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
                            Descriptor #4 = 3324 KBPS ( 2.40x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
                            ** INFO : MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Properly Supported By Some Drives
                            Descriptor #1 = 8467 KBPS ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
                            Descriptor #2 = 7056 KBPS ( 5.09x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
                            Descriptor #3 = 5645 KBPS ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
                            Descriptor #4 = 4234 KBPS ( 3.06x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
                            Descriptor #5 = 2822 KBPS ( 2.04x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
                            Descriptor #6 = 1411 KBPS ( 1.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
                            ** WARNING : Drive May Have Returned Incorrect Descriptors

On descriptor #2, #4, and #5, there is an Invalid Entry message. Does that mean anything to you?

Comment

• cynthia
                              Super Moderatress
                              • Jan 2004

Had both the old ones and the new ones this in common:
                              ** INFO : Disc = [DVD+R:CMC MAG-E01-000]
                              Invalid entry - nothing to deal with. As you can read in the info: 'MODE SENSE Is Obsolete And Not Properly Supported By Some Drives'.

Comment

Working...