Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 23fps to PAL/NTSC

Default 23fps to PAL/NTSC

I have an avi that I would like to convert to PAL (or NTSC) MPEG, prior to burning to DVD.

The avi is film rate, 23.whatever fps. Audio is AC3 2 channel, in perfect sync

What would be the best way to convert

I typically use Mainconcept to convert avi to elementary video (mpv), and vdubmod to demux AC3, then assemble everything in DVDLab

If I do that in this case, I will end up with sync problems. Any advice on converting from film to PAL/NTSC and maintaining audio sync appreciated?
    I dont have Canopus, so cant use that tool.

Had a brief look through the forum (I'm sure there used to be many many more threads on here a few months ago!) and the closest Ican find is a thread from BlackPearl.. but not sure if that will help in this case)

TVMIA
    Alan

Not a god of digital video blutach's Avatar

Check this out. It is not an easy job and as you have already highlighted, audio sync is a real problem.

Easiest thing to do is buy a player that can handle both formats.

Regards

Hmmm... why not just use the "match audio and video lengths in Vdubmod?

I have a player that can handle both PAL and NTSC, the problem is the frame rate - I'm pretty sure 23.9fps will cause a hiccup somewhere. And almost certainly when transcoding the audio to 48KHz.

Default To alewis

I believe you can accomplish the conversion from 23.976 to 29.97 (NTSC DVD standard) by using "TMPGEnc" (Different than "TMPGEnc DVD Author") and selecting the "3:2 pulldown" filter from under the Settings>>Advanced tab...

If you have more questions, always feel free to ask them...

Demigod of Digital Video

Default setarip, alewis

"I believe you can accomplish the conversion from 23.976 to 29.97 (NTSC DVD standard) by using "TMPGEnc" (Different than "TMPGEnc DVD Author") and selecting the "3:2 pulldown" filter from under the Settings>>Advanced tab..."

yes this works very well and happens to be the method i use.

with the ac3 acm decompressor installed, virtualdub can be used to save the ac3 audio to .wav, then use this as the audio source before tmpgenc encodes.with this method i never have audio/video synch issues...
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Thread Information