Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheWhiteHeat
    • Mar 2002

S-video question

Is s-video practically useless if you don't have an s-video input on your tv even if your video input into the VCR (from miniDV) is through s-video?

Will I not see a difference in quality since the connection from the VCR to the TV uses composite or coaxial?
  • Gameshow Host
    • Mar 2002

If, at any stage, your video signal passes through a composite or coaxial lead, then that is the quality that you will see on your TV. The only way to actually "watch" an s-video signal is through your PC monitor, or through a TV that is connected to the source via an s-video lead.

As for scart, I don't have a clue how god the quality is.

Comment

• Ndb
      • Mar 2002

Scarts ok and if your TV has Scart you can get an S-VHS to Scart converter. It's better than compo/RF anyway

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Can some of you explain the basics of the terminologies used here? I have heard of composite and s-video, but I have no idea which is which. One has to be the single yellow-coloured plug, and the other one is the bigger plug that looks almost like a PS/2 connector. Sorry for the rather funny description, but I've not read much about this.

Also, which is supposed to give better picture quality? What are the issues with the each of them?

Comment

• giulio
          • Mar 2002

If the TV has Scart port don't mean that accept S-video input signal. You have to check on the TV handbook and verify that it can accept it, usually the scart port is configurable in the two ways by remote control. But only for a small numbers of TV.

Ciao ... and sorry for my english .. and happy easter

Comment

• Harley
            • Jan 2002

You will get a cleaner, higher quality picture with the S-video as the video is input directly to the TV without any type of RF modulation. You still have to run the audio seperately though because S-video is 'only' video.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎