• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ulTRAX
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Jan 2005

Do DVRs Recognize MacroVision?

I bought a LiteOn 5005 the other day and while experimenting I found that I could make copies of pre-recorded VHS tapes. I assumed these tapes were using MacroVision to prevent copying... at least to other VCRs.

I can't believe that the industry has realized that it's pointless to prevent making digital backups of movies off the world's worst video format... so is it that DVRs just don't have MacroVision? Or is it that they have built-in TBCs that disable it?
    Last edited by ulTRAX; 27 Jun 2005, 03:30 AM.
  • tigerman8u
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2003

"I found that I could make copies of pre-recorded VHS tapes." my guess is these tapes that were pre-recorded allready had the copy-protection removed or had none to begin with.

Comment

• ulTRAX
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by tigerman8u
      my guess is these tapes that were pre-recorded allready had the copy-protection removed or had none to begin with.
      It must have been the luck of the draw... that I found 2 tapes in a row that didn't have MacroVision. The 3ed and 4th tapes did and I got a notice that it was protected content. I hear there is a MacroVison firmware hack for the 5005.

BTW... my intent was not to badmouth VHS. We all know the worst video format is actually Fisher Price.

Comment

Working...