Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob31411
    • Jun 2005

Sony DRU-500A - Error: No Media Inside Recording Device

Hi, wondered if anyone has seen this problem. I am using a Sony DRU-500A.

I use Sonic's Record Now write my Shrunk videos, and also Arcsoft Showbiz2 for other projects, however I believe the problem is evident even before the software is started. The LED on the front of the drive is on solid when a disc is inserted, and then it goes out. I believe this indicates that the media is not recognized and the drive thinks that there is no media installed. When it exhibits this behavior when Record Now or Showbiz is running I get this error: "There is no media inside the recording device. Please insert media." This problem occurs with HP DVD+RW 1X, 2.4X media. I used to be able to write to this type of media. I can still write to HP DVD+R's with no problem, so think it may be a compatibility problem or something like that. I intend to try a different brand of DVD+RW media this weekend, but in the meantime, I wondered if anyone has seen this problem. I have not tried -R/-RW media

I have tried reformating the +RW media with my HP MovieWriter DC3000 as it has a utility to reformat. But is does not seem to matter.

Anyone have any ideas or seen this problem? Thanks.

Bobby
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

Could be something wrong with the RW disc.

Comment

• bob31411
      • Jun 2005

Thanks Cynthia for the input. Well, in my off-and-on testing, I have probably used about 10 different +RW's, BUT they have only been HP disks. So I have not ruled out that the drive does not care for HP +RW's. Would be odd (since the HP +R's work fine), but I hope to draw a conclusion this weekend when I try a different brand of +RW's.

Thanks. Bobby

Comment

• cynthia
        Super Moderatress
        • Jan 2004

Latest firmware installed?

Comment

• bob31411
          • Jun 2005

Yes, newest firmware installed for the dvd and as an aside, I believe it was less picky before the update. The update was to improve the write speed on +r's and cut some vibration, and a couple of other things I can't remember right off.

Anyway, I have also checked and turned off imapi and made sure DMA is enabled on the drive.

Running XP with SP1

Weird huh?

Bobby

Comment

• bob31411
            • Jun 2005

Update: I bought some Sony DVD+RW media and burned two discs two different ways. This tells me two things. 1.-the dvd writer will work with RW media. 2. once I have written to the RW, I cannot reinsert the media into the drive and erase or even read it. Does not recognize the media. I tried burning with two different apps. Showbiz and Record Now. Don't have Nero to try.

My next goal is to try burning with the app that came with the drive (MyDVD) The laptop that I had with me this week did not have it installed on it. I am just not sure if all burning software makes use of the same files to burn. In other words, would there be any difference in the burning between the three programs I am trying?

So the bottom line is that it looks like I can burn +R's just fine and I can burn brand new +RW's once. So I have a feeling it is not hardware related. (I could be wrong) Think maybe driver or drivers. I have tried to upgrade all drivers that I could, but results are the same.

Thanks. Bobby

Comment

• bob31411
              • Jun 2005

By the way, I have a Sony DRU-710A and HP Movie Writer dc3000 that work as they are supposed to. Why am I trying to get the DRU-500A to work? Because, now I just want to know what the problem is.

Bobby

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

It sounds like your first generation SONY DRU500A burner may be nearing the end of its useful life. You might try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on it. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...

Comment

• bob31411
                  • Jun 2005

setarip,

Yes, I have also been wondering if that is the case. I've spent a lot of time on this one and it just bugs me not to be able to solve the problem, but it may be time to move on.

I did actually disassemble the drive and clean the lens carefully (after it was failing )
                  Didn't seem to affect the operation, but probably need to pick up a cleaning disc anyway. Thanks for the input.

Bobby

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎