Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonofisis
    • Jan 2005

Bitrates?!

Okay, i'm fairly familiar with bitrates, and I have a simple question.. Okay, i use NeroVision Express 3 to make dvd's, and whenever i put in a movie that's over 2hours, it gives me the option to lower the quality so that it may fit onto a 4.7 GB disc.. well, obviously the bitrate must be a lot more than 3382, seeing that in Standard, most of the my dvdrip movies are maybe 6 - 8 GB.. I noticed that you can customize what bitrate you'd like, which leads to my question.. Say Nero automatically shrunk my 2 hour long dvd to 3.2 GB with a 3382 kb/s bitrate. that means, if i customize to like 4500 kb/s, the file would be slightly larger, utilizing the space it had free.. well, i wanted to know, is it nessicary to adjust the bitrate manually to gain quality, or will the difference in quality not be noticalbe, since a bitrate of 4500 kb/s isn't too far off from 3382 kb/s?
    Should I just let Nero do it's thing? honestly, i'm happy with the quality of a 2 hour movie after Nero shrinks it, it still retains maybe 80% of the quality and is still appealing on my bedroom TV, i was jus wondering would a tiny bit more make a diff in quality, is it worth it, to adjust it manually everytime, or are people like me, and content with the automatic process?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"since a bitrate of 4500 kb/s isn't too far off from 3382 kb/s"

That is a VERY significant difference!

Comment

• sonofisis
      • Jan 2005

Oh! Haha, shows how much i know..

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

you're talking app. 1100 k/bps. Like "setarip stated that's a big difference, especially in dvd. that could be the difference between macroblocks etc. or not especially in high action scenes.

Comment

• sonofisis
          • Jan 2005

yea, you're right.. i did a test. i encoded one 2 hr movie with a bitrate of 3382 kbps, then i encoded the same movie with 4500 kbps.. i burned them both on discs, put them on the dvd player to the big screen in the living room, and i saw a noticable difference in quality.. thanx guys, i should start making way better quality dvd's now..

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"thanx guys"

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Comment

• tigerman8u
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2003

you're welcome