Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nikkoforever
    • Jul 2005

TMPGEnc sound problems & Virtualdub didn't help either

I just did a clean install of Windows XP Pro. Prior to that, I was running XP Home. All my hardware is identical. Before I was able to use TMPGEnc to convert AVI files and it handled the audio just fine. Now, I can't seem to get it work. The resulting audio file has no audio. These are some of the same files I converted before, so I know it's not the files themselves that are the problem. After searching this forum, among others, I decided to install toolame.exe, lame.exe and ssrc.exe and changed my environmental settings to reflect that. I also changed the DirectShow priority to 2. But the resulting wav files still output as blanks. Is there a plugin that I might have forgotten to install that would do that trick? Or maybe a setting I need to change? According to Gspot, the files in question have VBR MP3 audio tracks. It also says I have 4 compatible codecs installed, for what that's worth.

It was recommended to me that I use Virtualdub to convert the MP3 track to a WAV file. So I used Virtualdub 1.3c but the resulting WAV file is only a third or so as long as the corresponding video. In other words, it's incomplete.

Finally, someone else suggested using Goldwave to convert the MP3 to a WAV file, and it worked just fine, but when I used TMPGEnc DVD Author to create a DVD file, the video and audio are out of sync.

I'm getting desparate as this is a project I need to complete for work in the next couple of days. Any help would be very much appreciated. In an ideal world, I'd love to get TMPGEnc to handle the VBR MP3 audio as it did before the reinstall, but I'm open to other solutions as well. Thanks in advance for any advice you can pass along.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

it seems a matter of missing or misconfigured codecs.

there is no need to change the mp3 audio as it is well liked by tmpgenc.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• nikkoforever
      • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by columbo999
      it seems a matter of missing or misconfigured codecs.

there is no need to change the mp3 audio as it is well liked by tmpgenc.
      Could you elaborate, please? All the feedback I've gotten has been that TMPGEnc can't handle VBR MP3 very well. Are you saying this is fixable? If so, how? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

i simply load the file that contains the mp3 audio and it uses the file for its audio and video source. you shouldn't have to do anything at all. i do it all the time.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• nikkoforever
          • Jul 2005

i simply load the file that contains the mp3 audio and it uses the file for its audio and video source. you shouldn't have to do anything at all. i do it all the time.
          Right, I did that but it's simply not working. TMPGEnc doesn't recognize the audio. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

when you load the avi into tmpgenc, what is shown in the audio source box? blank, or your original avi?
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• nikkoforever
              • Jul 2005

when you load the avi into tmpgenc, what is shown in the audio source box? blank, or your original avi?
              My original AVI. But the resulting WAV file is blank.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

see at the top the audio and video source boxes, does the original file appear in BOTH? there shouldn't be any wav file....

Last edited by LT. Columbo; 21 Jul 2005, 09:37 AM.
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• nikkoforever
                  • Jul 2005

see at the top the audio and video source boxes, does the original file appear in BOTH? there shouldn't be any wav file....

Yes, the original file appears in both on that screen. I'm talking about after the file is done processing. I then have two files: an M2V file and a WAV file, which I typically then use in TMPGEnc DVD Author to create burnable DVD files (i.e. VOB files). But the WAV file always comes out blank when my original AVI file has VBR MP3 audio as opposed to CBR MP3 audio. Any ideas for how to fix this?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• SweetiePie
                    • Aug 2003

@nikkoforever

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

there is no need for that, your selecting "elementary streams" at the first screen of the wizard select the cbr mpeg- layyer II instead of pcm, then on the last screen de-select "output audio/video as elementary streams".

i always encode VBR audio files without having to convert anything...
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...