X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Samsung SD-612

I need to get this region-free so that I can easily watch Region 1 and Region 4 DVDs.

I got a link from Lightning UK that has a collection of firmwares: http://www.firmware.fr.st/

The problem is the site has the firmwares for variants of the drive (eg. SD-612B/F/S) and none for a plain vanilla SD-612. I won't stupidly download either one of them and risk my drive, so I'm wondering if there is anyway I can get my drive region-free. The drive is RPC-2, if that is of any use.

Samsung, apparently, did not bother making updates for a DVD drive that is nearing its two years of age (Woohoo!).
  • joegib
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2001

Although the BIOS messages and diagnostics may identify your drive as an SD-612, it's an SD-612B. If you look at the label on the drive it may say this (or SD-612BE). I installed Etnas's new patch on my "SD-612" a few days ago -- works fine.

If you decide to go ahead and flash the firmware, use the Samsung DOS utility "SFDNDOS.EXE" (not sfdndosm.exe) from a DOS boot floppy. The Win utilities are seriously bugged.

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Thanks.

Comment

Working...