• Show
Clear All
  • lgha
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Mar 2004

Microsoft and anti-piracy

For what it's worth

The following came from Cnet news.com and if I reading the story correctly the OS might make the process of "backing up" our collections next to impossible----of course this is Miscrosoft and how many things to they get right, but still this smacks of "big brother and hollywood" at it again.

As Microsoft readies the next version of its Windows operating system, called Vista, the software giant is building in unprecedented levels of safeguards against video piracy.

For the first time, the Windows operating system will wall off some audio and video processes almost completely from users and outside programmers, in hopes of making them harder for hackers to reach. The company is establishing digital security checks that could even shut off a computer's connections to some monitors or televisions if antipiracy procedures that stop high-quality video copying aren't in place.

In short, the company is bending over backward--and investing considerable technological resources--to make sure Hollywood studios are happy with the next version of Windows, which is expected to ship on new PCs by late 2006. Microsoft believes it has to make nice with the entertainment industry if the PC is going to form the center of new digital home networks, which could allow such new features as streaming high-definition movies around the home.

more of this story....
    Last edited by lgha; 30 Aug 2005, 10:13 PM.
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

If that does happen then MS might notice a drop in demand for it.

I wouldn't want a new PC with it.

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

And at the rate versions of Linux are going, probably a rise in demand for it.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

i certainly won't be getting it, if that's the case.

i rest assured that it will be bypassed shortly after its released, though, and microsoft will have to release patch after patch to 'fix' it
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

For the first time, the Windows operating system will wall off some audio and video processes almost completely from users and outside programmers, in hopes of making them harder for hackers to reach.
          By "hackers", I guess they mean the people that make freeware audio/video apps, since I don't seem to recall a trojan or something that affects the Windows audio/video routines (meanwhile every other routine has been hacked).

The company is establishing digital security checks that could even shut off a computer's connections to some monitors or televisions if antipiracy procedures that stop high-quality video copying aren't in place.
          Sounds like HDCP, which is already present in all new HDMI/DVI connections/devices (eg. graphics cards, home theatre displays/projectors with HDMI/DVI input). It will either shut off the display or display a low definition image if both the source and output doesn't have HDCP, to prevent digital to digital copying.
          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• ccme
            • Sep 2003

Vista may be bad news

The story on this link is really worth reading.

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

i think it will be bypassed eventually. its just software

i, ofcourse, won't be switching from my trusty xp sp2 until i hear good reviews for compatibility, performance and productivity

amd and intel's future hardware, however, will have features similar to DRM, making it much harder to crack...
              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• DiscoInferno
                • Apr 2005

It seems vista wont just be checking if your monitor is hd and bluray compliant, graphics cards will be checked too. And as the new ones will be pci-e, and youll need a new bluray drive, that will mean a new motherboard, optical drive and monitor for most people. Hell, might as well buy a new pc. Quoting from "pcformat"
                Ill wait for someonw to hack the drm: Thats always possible, but hd-dvd and bluray will both feature whats known as renewability technology. In short this enables content providers to dynamicaly update the content protection of hd hardware over the internet ori n a viral manner by embedding new code on newly produced discs if said hardware has been hacked.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎