• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

How to free up some system resources or system memory in XP

How to free up some system resources or system memory in XP

If your computer seems slower than it used to be, it probably is. Over time, computers get slower for a variety of reasons: files become disorganized, unnecessary software consumes resources, or too many programs automatically run at startup.

Back up your computer before you run any system tools or do any troubleshooting. This is not just an over-cautious warning. Some of the steps I recommend in this guide can cause pre-existing but hidden problems to surface, which may keep your computer from starting. Windows XP includes Backup, a tool that helps you protect your data.

To open the Backup or Restore Wizard

• Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Backup.

Before I make any changes, I'm going to time my computer to see how long it takes to restart. That way I know which of the changes helps the most. My computer took about three minutes to shut down, restart, and then open my e-mail client and browser. Of course, I hope to improve the computer's overall performance, but the time it takes to restart is easiest to measure.

The next step in restoring your computer's performance is to identify any unnecessary programs that start automatically. Often, programs configure themselves to run in the background so that they appear to start quickly when needed. Some of these programs show an icon on your task bar to let you know that they're running, while others are completely hidden. These autostart programs probably won't noticeably slow down your computer as it starts up, but they will steal away trace amounts of memory and processing time as your computer runs.

Windows XP comes with the System Configuration tool (Msconfig.exe), an excellent way to manage the startup process. To start it:

Click Start, click Run, type Msconfig, and then press Enter.

On the Startup tab, you'll see a list of all the programs and processes that are set to run when Windows XP loads.

Alot of peoples "msconfig" window will look similar to this. (Basically a bunch of programs with a check mark in the box) (Screen Shot Below)

Speed up your overall start time by clearing the check box next to any item you think you don't need.
    If you aren't sure a program is unneeded—leave it!

Click Apply, and then restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

After clicking the "OK" button, this screen should pop up.

Just click the "Restart" button.

When Windows restarts, this window should pop up. Its just saying you made some changes to the start up folder. You can safely put a check mark in the box at the bottom that says "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts".

Its also a good idea to remove any unnecessary programs. I install new programs all the time. Sometimes I'm thrilled with the new program and I continue to use it. Other times, it doesn't do what I hoped, and the program sits on my computer consuming resources and hurting performance.

Follow these steps to remove unneeded programs:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

Click Add or Remove Programs.

Scroll through the list and examine each program. Windows XP lists how often you use a program and what day you last started it.

Click each program you no longer need, click the Remove button, and then follow the prompts to uninstall it.

You may have to restart your computer after removing a program. After your computer restarts, repeat the steps above to remove more programs.
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

A handy little program to free up memory/resources without a reboot is MaxMem by AnalogX it is available here

Edit - I'm using XP Pro
    Last edited by jm1647; 3 Jul 2006, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• codajohn
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Jul 2005

Is there any way to have this program auto start at start up. I don't see any preferences.
      I had used this program on my 98se. I liked it. No startup at boot?
      CJ
      My DVD Collection
      Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning

Comment

• techreactor
        Banned
        • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by codajohn
        Is there any way to have this program auto start at start up. I don't see any preferences.
        I had used this program on my 98se. I liked it. No startup at boot?
        Drag and drop the main executable in the Startup folder (in the menus).

Comment

• codajohn
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Jul 2005

Thank you! I knew there had to be a way.
          CJ
          My DVD Collection

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Comment

• codajohn
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Jul 2005

I shouldn't have spoken so soon. I can't seem to get it to run at start up. I did what you said (maybe?). This is a 98se machine. I went to start>settings>Task bar & Startmenu>Add (command line)>Browse>"C:\My Documents\Tech .Tools\maxmemi.exe">next>next>finished.
            When I boot up no start up.
            CJ
            CJ
            My DVD Collection

Comment

• codajohn
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Jul 2005

I got it. Start Menu>Maxmem>drag/drop into Startup folder. Just like you said. Thank you.
              CJ
              My DVD Collection

Comment

• codajohn
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Jul 2005

One more question. Does this MaxMem program affect any Ripping/Editing or Burning operations?
                I never worried about it because it was only on my 98se and couldn't figure out Startup.
                It's now on my XP lap as well.
                Thanks,
                CJ
                Last edited by codajohn; 17 Feb 2006, 07:30 AM.
                CJ
                My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

since a lot of these type programs are hard on memory and resources themselves, I would run it then close it down

edit: always specify which OS, 98 needed help with memory management, xp usually does ok

have you done all the standard W98 tweaks?
                  Last edited by Chewy; 17 Feb 2006, 11:39 PM.

Comment

• codajohn
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Jul 2005

Chewy,
                    Yes, I have done 98 tweaks. I'm not sure if I have done them all. Is there a guide available. I had done a lot a long time ago. I couldn't say for sure which ones I have done. Any sites or guides would be appreciated. I have 512MB on both 98se and lap xp. I never experienced a memory error message on either machine.
                    Thanks,
                    CJ
                    CJ
                    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

see the 512 megs ram

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

Comment

• codajohn
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Jul 2005

Thanks Chewy!
                        CJ
                        My DVD Collection

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

remember 98 is fast, but what makes xp slower, is what makes it stable

Comment

• codajohn
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Jul 2005

Just after I got my lap xp. I noticed that my 98se desktop was much faster then my xp. I had made some tweaks a long time ago like shutting down unnecessary startup programs, changing computer setting to be a network server and increased ram usage. All of these tweaks worked very well. I like xp but I haven't had the time like I had with 98se to look under the hood.
                            Last edited by codajohn; 24 Feb 2006, 03:21 AM.
                            CJ
                            My DVD Collection

Comment

• imike
                              • Mar 2006

I have two PC, one is using OS win xp and the other one is win 98. I have been using win98 till now although I have the latest win xp because win 98 is faster. I don't want to wait for hour just to get my stuffs done. It will be time-consuming..

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎