PAL to NTSC Conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Moritzio
    • Jan 2006

In the Setting Dialog, on the Video Tab, I have tried both 4:3 and 16:9 settings. On the the Advanced tab, I have used the settings as explained earlier, 16:9 625 line PAL and fullscreen (keep aspect ratio 2).

When I use, on the Video Tab, the 4:3 aspect ratio with 720x480 size, the height is shorter than the original, given the same width. All detail of the image has been retained. Also, the genetrated mpg file size has increased substantially over the input.

When I use, on the Video Tab, the 16:9 aspect ratio with size 720x480, the preview image is taller than the original, given the same width. All detail of the image has been retained. I have not tried to generate a full file with these settings.
    Last edited by Moritzio; 2 Feb 2006, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• benbryant
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Aug 2005

First of all, I would like to apologize not being able to answer your question sufficiently sibce most of my PAL DVDs purchased and shipped to me from spearfishing friends in Europe. Unfortuately, they are all in standard 4:3 aspect ratio. I've had a chance to try a PAL widescreen before That why I didn't not mention anything about widescreen. You said that you tested the PAL to NTSC encoded movie in previe. I just wonder how you can judge the image correct by using standard PC monitor for 16:9 widescreen movie unless you have a widescreen monitor itself

Regards

Comment

• blutach
        Not a god of digital video
        • Oct 2004

Set the video attributes in the IFO to 16:9 automatic letterbox. You can do this in PgcEdit. The atts in the IFOs take precedence over those in the VOBs.

Regards
        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• NightTran
          King of Digital Video
          King of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

is there a guide for this?
          sigpic

Comment

• blutach
            Not a god of digital video
            • Oct 2004

No, but it is easy. Load it up, right click on any PGC in the domain. Select Domain Stream Atts and set the atts. OK and save.

Regards
            Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
            [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• benbryant
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Aug 2005

Mahalo blu for helping us with this. PgcEdit never stops amazing me about its ability to cover so many different tasks. Below is the attachment showed how to do it:

How to Set Widescreen with PgcEdit.pdf

Regards

Comment

• Moritzio
                • Jan 2006

Alright, I think I have determined how to set up the conversion for 16:9 PAL to NTSC. I was mainly confused because the preview window does not give (IMHO) aspect ratio accurate renderings of the final output. I used the small clip to test the settings until I had something acceptable. I suggest a 1-2 minute clip be used.

After you have set your input video and audio file and loaded your PAL and unlock templates, open the Settings Dialog, as proceed as per the guide except for the following:
                1. (Advanced Tab) - Source aspect ratio - 16:9 625 line PAL
                2. (Advanced Tab) - Video Arrange Method - Fullscreen or one of the Fullscreen keep aspect ratio variants
                3. (Video Tab - Aspect Ratio - 16:9 Display

If this is not right, please advise. Seems pretty good to me.

Comment

• benbryant
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Aug 2005

Exactly what I said in the early post about reviewing with yout regular monitor. IMHO, the important thing to have the Aspect Ratio in your Video tab set to 16:9 Display. To be on the safe side, when you finish with everything and before burning DVD, just download the PgcEdit and follow the steps in the attached file on my above post to how to use PgcEdit force your DVD to displace in 16:9 Letterbox. For PgcEdit, get it from here:

PgcEdit, DVD, IFO, PGC, menu, editor, debugger, trace, r0lZ, double, dual, layer, DL, burner, burn, video

Regards
                  Last edited by benbryant; 3 Feb 2006, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Archmagus_Majer
                    • Feb 2006

Can I use a dts audio file?

I'm pretty new to this and I have a feeling this conversion stuff is beyond me but I'm trying it. I have a couple questions right off. When I try to choose an Audio Source for TMPGEnc Plus, I have no mpa files or ac3 files. I do have a dts file. Can I use that? Do I have to do anything special before I start the TMPGEnc conversion?

Also, as I'm waiting for a reply, I'm going on and trying it using the dts file for the Audio Source and TMPGEnc Plus is telling me it's going to take about 70 hours! Is this correct or have I messed up something?

Thanks in advance for your help. Remember, I don't know a lot of the lingo for these things.

Comment

• benbryant
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Aug 2005

Hi Archmagus_Majer,

IMHO, it is kind of strange for a movie built with a single .dts audio. If your DVD player and audio system don't support DTS, how can you listen to the audio then? Anyway, not long ago, our member and mod did mention about using BeSweet to convert DTS to MP2 (maybe to WAV to). Hopefully, they can offer to give you a hand. Unfortunately, TMPGEnc Plus or DVD Author doesn't accept DTS. You have to find a way to encode the audio

Regards
                      Last edited by benbryant; 6 Feb 2006, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• Archmagus_Majer
                        • Feb 2006

Thanks for the quick replay benbryant! I thought it was strange too about the DTS and the artwork says an OPTIONAL 5.1 DTS. So where's the other audio track. When I click on Browse to choose the audio for TMPGenc, this is what it offers: T012_0ch 192 kbps DELAY 0ms (Nero ShowTime File), T023_ch 448Kbps DELAY - 36ms (Nero ShowTime File), T03 DELAY -47ms.dts (DTS FILE), T042_0ch 224 Kbps DELAY -60ms (Nero ShowTime File), T05 2_0ch 192kbps DELAY -36ms (Nero ShowTime File), D2V File 1,089 KB

What do you think? Anything look familiar? Did I do something wrong with DG Index step?

Comment

• benbryant
                          Digital Video Master
                          Digital Video Master
                          • Aug 2005

It indicated "Nero ShowTime" files because when you installed Nero, you agreed Nero ShowTime to be the default player. To be able to recognize the file type easier, please open My Documents, Go to Tools -> Folder Options, press the View tab, remove the tick mark at "Hide extensions for known file types" and click OK. By doing this, the windows will show all the hidden file extension for you to see.

So far you have:

For Video:

- D2V File 1,089 KB

For Audio:

- T012_0ch 192 kbps DELAY 0ms
                          - T023_ch 448Kbps DELAY - 36ms
                          - T03 DELAY -47ms.dts
                          - T042_0ch 224 Kbps DELAY -60ms
                          - T05 2_0ch 192kbps DELAY -36ms

So try to look for any audio which is in WAV or MP3 format. TMPGEnc usually accepts them readily. Otherwise, you have to spend more steps for the process

Regards

Comment

• Archmagus_Majer
                            • Feb 2006

Can I Burn this stuff with DVD Shrink?

Thanks once again benbryant! By clicking off the "Hide Extensions..." I was able to see that all three audio tracks were ac3 and so, as posted previously, I converted them into WAV and that combined them into 1 track. Everything went find after that (I think) I'm at the final step and hung up again. Help?

The final step says to use TMPGEnc DVD Author or any other DVD author programs. Can I use DVD Shrink for that? If so, how? I can't load the file into DVD Shrink. I just named it Finished Product, so the file name is now Finished Product.mpg (Nero Showtime File) 2,052,681 KB

Any help is much appreciated!

Comment

• benbryant
                              Digital Video Master
                              Digital Video Master
                              • Aug 2005

No, Archmagus_Majer. DVD Shrink can only authored DVDs. That is why you need to author your files into DVD. Please try the TMPGEnc DVD Author which also comes with free trial time. Using this tool, you'll be able to create chapters, make menu,...and finally you can open it with DVD Shrink
                              all three audio tracks were ac3 and so, as posted previously, I converted them into WAV and that combined them into 1 track
                              Listen to each audio track separately. They may be the same sizes and same sound. By combining them into one track, you may create an audio file which is three times longer unnecessarily. So test carefully before authoring them

Regards
                              Last edited by benbryant; 7 Feb 2006, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• Archmagus_Majer
                                • Feb 2006

Thanks again! A new problem, however. I've downloaded TMPGEnc DVD Author and tried to load the mpg clip. I'm getting an error message that says :vudei franerate 29.97 fps cannot be used with the resolution 720x576" and to use one of the following resolutions 352x240, 352x480, 704x480? Can you tell me what step I messed up and what I need to do? I don't know if you need to know this, but it is in Widescreen format. I did take that into account and went by moritzio's Feb 3rd posting telling how to set up TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 for widescreen format. I'm getting a headache! Thanks for any MORE help you can offer! You've been great!

Comment

Working...