Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

blank media discs,how to take writing off?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ljlb
    • Oct 2005

blank media discs,how to take writing off?

i use the proper pens to write on my dvds and was wondering is their a way to take the writing which i have printed off the disc?
    also is writing still the best way to label a disc..........cheers
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

I used xylene for removing dried sharpie carefully, start with weak
    solvents first, the top coating is a lacquer usually?

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

I got away from writing on my DVD's altogether. I keep them all in slim jewel cases with a label or cover printout on the clear side of the jewel case. Sharpie makes a different marker for writing on CD/DVD's. They are described by Sanford the manufacturer here

As rbrtpl pointed out I would do it very carefully and avoid getting the solvent near the edges of the hub or the outer edges of the media.

Comment

• Steve1968
        • Sep 2005

I used to use sharpie markers but went out an bought a Epson rc-310 printer which prints onto printable DVD's looks great (I use TDK DVD's haven’t had a problem yet) never had a problem.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

In over 2 years, no problem with sharpies, except everybody keeps
          stealing them.

Comment

• BSpielbauer
            • Jun 2005

>>>also is writing still the best way to label a disc..........cheers<<<

"Best" is always a matter of opinion, of course. Too many subjective variables.

Stick on labels = have caused many to experience errors, often months and months later.

Printing directly on the DVD, using an Epson printer (in the US) or an Epson or a Canon printer (elsewhere), and printing on "inkjet printable DVDs" is apparently safe, but of course, there is added expense (ink cartridges are ridiculously expensive, and almost pure profit for the manufacturers).

Sharpies (or any quality felt-tipped marker) is safe, and much more economical, but some will never like the rather amateurish look... even if these are only a backup for the DVD player in the wife's mini-van, some people insist on the quality of the packaging, as opposed to the actual content.

I have a lot of backups that I simply left blank... In my house, we always return the disc immediately to its case, whether it is a backup or the original. None of us has ever had any problem or confusion with a disc with no label, as long as the outer packaging has a label.

You must decide what is best for you. I decided to avoid the paper labels, after reading about so many who experienced playback problems. I have even read of some who painstakingly removed labels from DVD (which took a lot of time), and had them instantly begin to play again. Others have reported they have "never had a problem with hundreds of discs," but I prefer not to worry if they will change their tune in 12 months, or 15 months, or 18 months... so I just decided to skip this alternative.

Obviously, you have to decide what is "best" for you.

-Bruce

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

that's a good post BSpielbauer. lot of good points. there is a lot of factors to consider as already mentioned. i'm a person who uses labels, but not the kind you're thinking of. i use avery 5160 envelope labels. i print it with my printer and slap it on the discs.

it's only about the size of 3 stamps side by side. in every player i have used, other peoples players old discs, new ones no trouble. i apply it as close to the center as possible so maybe that's why? maybe they aren't heavy enough to cause skipping even though the disc is technically "off balance" now.

2 years of this and i see no reason to change. even if i needed to remove them i already know i can do it fairly easily with goo-gone or similar. i always thought using a sharpie on a disc looked sloppy and preffered neat print. then the disc goes in an empty slim jewel case and the label can be seen clear as day, no need for those blasted sleeves which i hate so much. it's just my little system
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• 2COOL
                Kamen Moderator V3
                • Aug 2003

OT: Sharpies work great when writing/drawing on your totally-passed-out-from-too-much-drinking friend's face.
                2CL C Henshin!
                If you got a dollar for everytime someone called you ugly, you'd be a millionaire...an "ugly" millionaire.±

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎