Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inkystay
    • Nov 2005

Re: Burned movie wont play on dvd player

Thanks to those who responded to my query. Since then I have done a lot more research and found a solution.

I got a copy of DVDInfoPro and it verified that the DVD had no bad blocks. The DVDs I generated didn't play on my standalone, but it also wouldn't play on my girlfriend's standalone (a Coby DVD-224). Admittedly this is a cheap player also, but she also couldn't play it on her computer (iMac G4), so I thought there was a problem with the disk and started researching that possibility.

In one of the posts above, by blutach, I saw a link that read "Why not to Burn with Nero" that talked about problems with small filesets. I looked at the filesets, and sure enough, there was one that was less than 32K in size. I followed the directions given in the post below to fix this problem.

While I was running PgcEdit, it also noticed 3 or 4 other errors. I don't remember exactly what they were, but something like "The DVD thinks it has three audio tracks while in reality it only has two." I fixed them all and followed the directions to have it pad the small vob file and generated another DVD. Sure enough, this one plays perfectly, even on my old, problematic standalone DVD player.

Many thanks to blutach for posting this information. Burning DVDs has turned out to be a lot more complicated than I expected.

Sincerely,
    --Andy

Comment

• CaptJeff
      • Oct 2004

Play Probs on Panasonic DVD-LA95

My backups play flawlessly on my in-home Sony player, as well as on the PC. When I traveled by air this week I took a few of my backups to enjoy on my Panasonic player. Each one I tried started breaking up and freezing. All discs are -R's and are physically spotless with no labels. I cleaned the lens and that didn't help. This unit is supposedly compatible with DVD -R discs. I stopped at a Blockbuster and bought a couple of previously viewed titles and they played fine.

Anybody have any ideas?
      Thanks...

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

What brand are they? I have had this problem with Philips DVD-R's on my Panasonic player... so maybe you are using Philips?
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• CaptJeff
          • Oct 2004

Mine are Ridata 8X, burned at 4X. Good point, though. I'll try another brand to see if it makes a difference. Have you tried using +R's?

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

Yes, +R's work great. I am just saying that the Philips -R's didn't work. Those discs are pieces of crap, avoid them at all costs!
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
            My DVD Collection

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

capt jeff. try sony in the -R format
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎