X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gai
    • Apr 2002

Require Help Making Smaller Divx Files

Background

I rip anime episodes from DVDs, convert them to mpegs with TMPGEnc, and then burn them to VCDs. Occasionally I'll have friends request that I turn the mpg files into divx avis for them so they can download the files via FTP.

I'm currently in the process of that, but the person I'm sending them to has dialup. I told him I could probably get the files (220-meg mpgs, 21 minutes each when I cut the opening and closing credits) down to about a 100 megs or so divx if I really tried.

Weapon of Choice

Virtualdub, using Divx 4.12 Low Motion codec and 128 kbps mp3 audio.

I had attempted to use the divx audio option provided, but Virtualdub freezes whenever I try to encode a divx file that way.

What I get

I can get the files down to about 99 megs if I use mp3 audio and set the video data rate to about 500 kilobits per second. I'm not so much a fan of this, but it does create acceptable quality.

Still, I can't help thinking it could be better. I see some annoying noise during some action sequences.

Help?

If anyone has any advice on settings or recommended filters for making the best quality divx files within the acceptable size limits (80 - 100 megs, preferably towards 80), I would appreciate hearing it.

Once again, that's converting 220 meg mpg files of a 21-minute anime episode into an acceptably small divx with acceptable quality.
    Last edited by Gai; 9 Apr 2002, 01:58 PM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Unless your friend is an audiophile, you can reduce the filesize a bit more by reducing the MP3 rate to 128Kbps at 44,100Hz. A few more megs can be squeezed out if you change the audio interleave rate from 1 frame to 12-15 frames (Check the smoothness of the resultant video)...

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

For 100MB DivX,

Resolution: 480x360 (It's still good. Trust me)
      Encoding-mode: 4.12 2-pass mode. You will get more quality out of it, rather than the 1-pass mode you indicated to have used.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎