Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rawbee
    • Nov 2005

Digital Camcorders

I have many digital camcorders but they use what looks like film or tape. Is the film just encoded with a digital signal that enables it to be transferred to a computer and such? If so how does that work? When I have footage on my computer stored on my hard drive I understand that it is digital and in a file format, but is this the same for when it is on a digital camera using film? How could it be on film and be digital? Is the film being used in a traditional sense; obviously not or it wouldn't be called digital. Digital means electrical and thus would mean nothing mechanical is being used, such as film. A digital SLR uses memory cards instead of film, this makes sense; it's not mechanical and uses nothing but electrical signals to encode hundreds of photos on something the size of a quarter. But isn't film just film and not digital in anyway. Does the film just work like the memory card? Forgive me I'm just a junior member.
    <!-- / message -->
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

that's a lot of questions. i could either write you a short essay, or give you a couple of links

If you're looking to delight your friends with hours of your vacation footage in prime, digital form, there's no time like the present. Camcorders have gotten small enough to fit in a pocket. Find out how they work.

post if you need more info
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• atifsh
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2003

comon Anonymez, thats just 7 questions......
      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

that's 6 questions too many
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎