• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Webslingerac
    • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by UncasMS
    it is the elby.ch version 2.5.3.3
    Thank you.

Was there any reason why such an old version of Clonedvd2 was tested in Nov. 2005? You
    tested a version, at the time, that was almost a year old. Granted, I have no idea if the transcoder
    was updated during the interim, but . . .
    Last edited by Webslingerac; 10 Jan 2006, 08:51 AM.

Comment

• techreactor
      Banned
      • Jul 2005

UncasMS......

for an amazing thread and effort.

So i guess Procoder > AutoQmatenc > HC enc > CCE in terms of quality, although I understand difference between Autoqmat and HC is a hairline.

Comment

• SAPSTAR
        • Feb 2006

AutoQMatEnc 032b

First of all, thank you to UncasMS for his numerous tests.
        I was a bit disappointed by the replies of jeo, which were a bit aggressive.

I just want to clarify few things :
        - My first intention in writing AQE was to make a free encoder which would give the best possible results for rather low bitrates. I noticed that CCE was not good at low bitrates/ interlaced material.
        - I read something about non compliant matrices because some values are above the 127. I would say just read well the MPEG2 restrictions, the only real restriction is the following :
        • Values must be in the range 1..255, ISO/IEC 13818-2 and 11172-2
        Because of the DVD format restriction, the first value of the intra/inter matrices must be at least 8.

The matrices in AQE are generated using a tool called DCTune2.0, it's made by some NASA researchers to optimize the JPEG matrix. The matrices cant be used right away because they are not in the 8-255 range, but after some basic operations, they can be used.(Matrices are generated GOPs after GOPs in a preliminary phase)

And by removing the High frequency details which are invisible for the eye, but keeping the most visible things, the bitrate is used at its optimum capacity. Bytes are not lost in invisible details. That's why many 8 could be found in the first values of the matrices, and very high values at the end.

I know that old habits are hard to break, but dont close your mind by thinking that matrices must be in the 8-127 range. I encoded many movies with AQE, and they all play fine in many different DVD players.

For the difference of speed between the version, one of the major reason is the Multithreading, the last version is fully multithreaded which gives quite a boost on most recent computers.

Now, I'm proud of having being accepted on the VMesquita forum. It became the official forum for my encoder.

Hmm a last thing, my first priority is quality, time or other any consideration was always secondary, the reason is I have a 120" screen, so each artefact could be monstruous.

So good encodes whatever encoder you choose. My only request would be : please respect the work from others, especially when it's available for free.

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

welcome to DD, sapstar and of course a *big thanx* for the time and effort you put into autoqmatenc and by doing so providing a very good freeware encoder to the community

much appreciated!

Comment

• techreactor
            Banned
            • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by SAPSTAR
            So good encodes whatever encoder you choose. My only request would be : please respect the work from others, especially when it's available for free.
            I am a strong supporter of GNU and appreciate any kind of effort put in by anyone(even if it does not give desired results), effort is important here !!!!.

I totally appreciate your work SAPSTAR and a big to you on AutoQmat.

Thanks for giving us AutoQmat.

Comment

• jeo
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Feb 2004

Sapstar,welcome!!!

I was a bit disappointed by the replies of jeo
              oh,don't feel...was not my intention disappoint you.
              which were a bit aggressive
              i'm only sincere!
              I read something about non compliant matrices because some values are above the 127.
              .here is my fear!
              I noticed that CCE was not good at low bitrates/ interlaced material.
              "thousands" people around the world(including me) have lots of svcds(max 2530 bitrate) with very good results(look the dvd2svcd forum in doom9 or kvcd forum)...if with 480*480/576(svcd) the result is good,with 720*480/576(dvd) is better,right?
              cce is not good for mpeg1(round 1150 bitrate).
              My only request would be : please respect the work from others, especially when it's available for free.
              right! i posted in another forum that i wait cool results with AQE in the future.in doom9 rb forum have one long thread comparing results,the pictures are "saying" more than words!...i know your job and i respect, i know the "not so transparent" vmesquita forum too because i'm brazilian and "i was there"...is the forum with lots of bla bla blas and few good threads,lots of "proud" and agressive kids that like to put 5,10 or 15 movies in one media (lots of movies/animes download from inter,remember diko?!?.is to reencode divx,right?..who want to re-rencode divx(?) don't have the dvd!!! ) ,for this reason i posted that the AQE target is(was?) the final size first,quality is(was?) in second place...AQE and you deserve a better place to develope.

regards!
              still sending greens(you can't see but can feel)

geriatric rock fan

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

"thousands" people around the world(including me) have lots of svcds(max 2530 bitrate) with very good results(look the dvd2svcd forum in doom9 or kvcd forum)...if with 480*480/576(svcd) the result is good,with 720*480/576(dvd) is better,right?
                WRONG

when applying the same bitrate of let's say 2500kbps than of course the full dvd resolution will look horrible whereas svcd with 480x576 (forgive me for being a pal user) will have an acceptable bitrate saturation because the number of pixels on which the bitrate will be distributed is WAY lower

Comment

• jeo
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Feb 2004

when applying the same bitrate of let's say 2500kbps ..
                  no,i wrote max 2530 and not the same bitrate,i mean min=300(or 100) and max=2530 (and filters that give compression like deen) for svcd that is used in dvd2svcd give good results using cce as encoder and if you change the resolution to 720x480/576 to do some (x)vcd with the same min=300 and max bitrate=2530 will be better.the "explanation",if i can call it an "explanation" is: cce encoding mpeg2 with low bitrates(as for svcd) don't give so bad results.(try svcd with other encoder with the same parameters and tell us if cce is or is not better!! bah.don't loose time ,svcd is past now. )
                  well..my old svcds and xvcds are very cool but i don't encode this no more,was when i had only a cd-r burner.

still wrong? (in caps lock?!?!)

regards!

geriatric rock fan

Comment

• UncasMS
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2001

using cce as encoder and if you change the resolution to 720x480/576 to do some (x)vcd with the same min=300 and max bitrate=2530 will be better
                    sorry, but that really doesnt make sense

a resolution with way more pixel and an almost identical (variable) bitrate cannot look better as the saturation per pixel is reduced

Comment

• jeo
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Feb 2004

sorry, but that really doesnt make sense
                      i can feel that you never did it.
                      almost identical
                      never! trust,more resolution(720)always look better(test one single cell in 480 and 720 with the same min and max bitrate,it's obvious,never look the same!) i did it a long time and still have the xvcds..nevermind,now we have rb for dvds and can forget svcds!

regards!

geriatric rock fan

Comment

• jeo
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Feb 2004

Originally Posted by jeo
                        ... i know the "not so transparent" vmesquita forum too because i'm brazilian and "i was there"...is the forum with lots of bla bla blas and few good threads,lots of "proud" and agressive kids that like to put 5,10 or 15 movies in one media (lots of movies/animes download from inter,remember diko?!?.is to reencode divx,right?..who want to re-rencode divx(?) don't have the dvd!!! ) ,for this reason i posted that the AQE target is(was?) the final size first,quality is(was?) in second place...AQE and you deserve a better place to develope.
                        another brazilian have seamless opinion: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=108277

regards

geriatric rock fan

Comment

• Francksoy
                          DVD Freak
                          • Jul 2005

Jonnhy-come-lately

Sooory for digging up and oooold thread, but I just discovered it by... er.. Googling, and I found it quite enthralling. Special thanks go to UncasMS.

I have a basic question for you, UncasMS, that I'm surprised no one asked: for your original comparison between DVD2one vs. DVD-RB + procoder, which quality settings did you use in DVD2one? I'm asking since I'm a bit surprised by the very obvious macroblocks. I'm not used to such obvious artifacts with this app. Granted, I tried 2.2 only, maybe the program improved in the meanwhile...

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Francksoy
                            DVD Freak
                            • Jul 2005

OK, ok, I'm out since I found this:
                            Originally Posted by UncasMS
                            btw dvd2one was used with BEST mode
                            Sorry

Comment

• UncasMS
                              Super Moderator