Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orangedrink
    • Feb 2005

Best kind of DVD-r?

I have tried many brands of dvd-r and +r but the -r seem to be more compatible with game systems. Many ive tried are poor quality (memorex, sony, phillips, tdk) but ive been using Verbatim digital Movie DVD-Rs (the ones that look like movie reels). I never get a bad burn,they are cheap (20 bucks a 25 pack at best buy), and they have a maximum of 4x speed. It seems when i try discs with bigger max speeds, i get poor quality. Anyone know of any brands of disks that are just as reliable but maybe cheaper? I heard the Ritek Ridata are pretty good. Anyone know?
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

you're doing the right thing with the verbatim. stick with them, but don't shop at best buy. i don't buy media on-line but i gaurantee you you can get those same discs for a 1/3 of that. watch this post...soon other members who i know use this media will inform you of this

see this too (notice the media mentioned):

also what software are you using to burn with?
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• NightTran
      King of Digital Video
      King of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

I like this r- I bought from best buy last week ( 50 for 19.99), and r- seem to have better quality then the r+, I mean the same movie same source from my computer, and I just learn that Sam have 39.75 for 100 at 16X
      Last edited by NightTran; 10 Nov 2005, 06:20 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

• orangedrink
        • Feb 2005

Thx for the reply. I use Shrink then burn with something called "Sonic Recordnow DX". It came with my drive and works well for me.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

how do the discs that give problems in your game system, play in a regular standalone dvd player?
          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
          Columbo moments...
          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• orangedrink
            • Feb 2005

Some play in just a dvd player, some play in just xbox, depending on the disc. The verbatims i use work fine in either. But for some reason, xbox can only read the -Rs and the dvd player can read either - or +.

Some, like tdk will work good in xbox but skip in a dvd player, or vice versa.

Comment

• 2COOL
              Kamen Moderator V3
              • Aug 2003

If your burner is able to set booktype (bit-setting), you can change all your +R/RWs to DVD-ROM type, which will be compatiable on players that accept -Rs only.

It's all in the burner's firmware.
              2CL C Henshin!
              If you got a dollar for everytime someone called you ugly, you'd be a millionaire...an "ugly" millionaire.±

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

for more information about what 2cool suggested:
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• orangedrink
                  • Feb 2005

Originally Posted by 2COOL
                  If your burner is able to set booktype (bit-setting), you can change all your +R/RWs to DVD-ROM type, which will be compatiable on players that accept -Rs only.

It's all in the burner's firmware.
                  thats cool i never knew about that. Ill have to try it out.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                    NOT an online superstore
                    • Oct 2005

I use Memorex +R 8x discs, they are usually $20 for a 50 pack at office supply stores (Staples, Office Max, etc) and have never had a bad burn with those.
                    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                    My DVD Collection

Comment

• jm1647
                      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                      • Apr 2005

Taiyo Yudens are among the best of DVD manufacturers whether they are - or + . One of the places you can get them at is supermediastore.com at decent prices.

As 2COOl menitioned, how a burner does on a particular type or brand of media is most importantly first determined by the burners firmware, then the quality of the media, then your burning program then your sytsem DMA ti name a few.

DVD + media can be set to DVD-ROM, but depending upon what brand burner you have it might not be able to be set by the popular programs that do booktyping/bitsetting. If your burner is a LiteOn or one of it's many rebadges, you are going to need booktype135.exe from LiteOn or Omnipatcher from the Codeguys.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎