Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many rips and burns from 1 dvd burner?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • H@X
    BURNER
    • Nov 2005

how many rips and burns from 1 dvd burner?

i know this can't be answered correctly but lets try to take a wild guess. assume that i have a decent burner and that i take very good care of my equipment. how many rips and burns could i expect from 1 dvd burner before it starts to give problems? i have heard that it is ideal to rip with a dvd rom and burn only with your dvd burner, not rip with it too. that said for christmas my wife is sending me on a spree. she knows nothing about this and don't trust herself to buy tech stuff for me. i will be updating my ram from 512 to a gig and i have an open bay so i will be buying a new, vrey high quality duel layer burner to go with the burner this rig came with. i will use the burner i have now strictly for ripping and the new one strictly for burning.
    if you only have one though how many do you think you could expect to get out of one?
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

i rip and burn with mine....i've done hundreds so far...(liteon). still brand new

i think i recall cynthia saying she had almost 1000 with one of hers...
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

Most burners will have an expected life expectancy listed in the burners specs. I doubt if any burner will live up to it burning/ripping/playing though. The last burner I bought a LiteOn 1693S has a MTBF (Life) : 70000 Hours listed. Burners and DVD-ROM prices have tumbled, $40 or so for a decent combo burner and $20-$30 for a DVD-ROM. So ripping/playing with a DVD-ROM and burning with the burner would give you a guess estimate of 2x the amount of life if you only used the burner to do ripping/playing/burning. A DVD-ROM is a good investiment.

Comment

• bill7621
        It could be worse.
        • Jun 2005

I have approximately 1350 rips and burns on a Pioneer DVR-108 that's a little over a year old and going strong. I use it for ripping and burning. I've had very good luck with it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
        Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed!

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

I've got over 500 rip and burns on my old Sony DRU-510A and about 60 on my new NEC 3540A.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

Since I have been setting speed records(rips) with my new nec 3520/40's
            with hacked firmware and they only cost 40$, why bother with dvd-rom
            or combo drives that are inferior. If I had to have 4 drives in a case, they
            would be an assortment of DVD BURNERS.

Comment

• sonic_emperor
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Mar 2003

i have had my nec 2510a for two years now,and i didnt find any reason to replace it,it started to act weird when i flashed it with mod firmware,but i bought more ram,and everything works ok.and i even rip/ply/burn with it...im thinking of buying a dvd-rom these days,as its not fast enough...
              cro-anthem-video

Comment

• BR7
                He is coming to your little town!
                • Aug 2005

I have had my HP 640c for over a year now I have not had a problem with it yet.I am not sure of the number of rips and burns I have done

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• Zero G
                  Next to Arch Stanton
                  • Jan 2006

I must have about 400 on my LG GSA 4160B. Still burning strong.
                  "Wanted in 14 counties of this state. The condemned is found guilty of the crimes of murder, armed robbery of citizens, state banks and post offices, the theft of sacred objects, arson in a state prison, purgery, bigamy, deserting his wife and children, inciting prostitution, kidnapping, extortion, receiving stolen goods, selling stolen goods, passing counterfeit money, and contrary to the laws of this state, the condemned is guilty of using marked cards...therefore according to the powers vested in us, we sentence the accused here before us Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Ramirez also known as the Rat and any other aliases he may have to hang by the neck until dead."

Comment

• cantankerousd
                    Friend to the little birdies
                    • Feb 2006

My lite-on 851 has about 350 and is still going strong.

Comment

• soup
                      Just Trying To Help
                      • Nov 2005

LG GSA-4163B, just keeps going & going & going.

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Nov 2004

my nec-2510a (never moded) has done well over 2000 burns (& still burning), however, i do use a different drive for a reader.
                        to abtain a longer life from your burners, remember to burn at least half the max speed rating, allowing some cooling-off time between burns & try not mix dvd burns with cd burns on the same burner.
                        the only burner i ever used that i had changed/upgraded the firmware was my nec-1300a, & that drive only lasted between 400 - 600 burns.

to keep my burners fighting-fit, i always use dvd-r's for the perm copies & always & only use a +rw for tests or other experiments. also, i never burn cd's in my dvd-burner

Comment

• lemonyx
                          • Feb 2006

Put about 550 burns thru the Pioneer A07D before it died. No more Pioneer's for me, besides it can't booktype. I've always used a DVD-rom to rip w/ the Pioneer.
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          Abit IP35 Pro mb, Intel Core 2 Duo Q6600 2.4ghz OC'd 3.6ghz, Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme, 4 x 1gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400, Gigabyte 8800 GT OC'd PCi-e 2.0, 2x WD 74gb Raptors, 4x WD Se16 500gb HD's, CoolerMaster Stacker Case, Antec Earthwatts 500w, lots of Delta fans

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                            Queen of Digital Video
                            Queen of Digital Video
                            • Jan 2004

I have an older optorite;
                            I will prabably never know how many rips and burns as I have sstiched to a dual layer burner.

The old one still works great though must have done well over 1,000 burns DVD, VCD, CD's it is still in perfect working condition is just cant do dual layer and it can only burn at 4X since I am not using it any more I may never really know. I have had it for about 3 years and it just wont die. LOL

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎