X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feynman
    • Oct 2005

Problems backing up backups

hi,

iv just found that many of my backups will not backup, i get read errors in decrypter and CRC in shrink. they are in perfect condition and are the white ritek printable which i think are good quality disks...

in shrink the error always comes in the dieing seconds of the analyses, does this sound like they are bad backups or is there some other reason for the errors??

thanks
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

backing up a back-up can be difficult. you'd be better off using the original. have you tried nero (if you have ) or dvdfab decrypter? (freeware)
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

Using shrink is not necessary because the DVD is already down to DVD5 size and DVD shrink does not burn. In addition to what LT said you might wanna try DVD Decrypter with ignore read errors checked on the I/O tab and retries set to zero. Depending upon the severity of the error(s) and their location the backup of the backup may play ok if DVD Decrypter can get through it. This has worked for me in the past.

Comment

• jmet
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2002

Here are two possible ways of making a copy of a copy. If they don't work, you will need to re-rip from the original again:

DVD Decrypter: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=48358

Nero: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=45497

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

@JMET
          Have you ever set the read speed lower in device/options in DVDD?

Comment

• jmet
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2002

Nope, never had the need to.

Comment

• feynman
              • Oct 2005

hi,

thanks for replys, i have just tried dvdfab decrypter and despite it taking an incredably long time on one file on each disk it seems to have worked on the disks i was having trouble with, however it works really fast for disks i was not having problems with, as this program does not display what is happening as dvd decrypter does: can i rest assured it has not skipped/ignored any read errors??

also i am aware that there is no need to use dvd shink on backups but i often do it that way because it works and its easier to browse the net (nero all but locks up my PC) is there any reason why it is a bad idea to use shrink to copy backups?

in decrypter what is the difference between file and iso modes? the end result seems the same, is one way recognised as better for dvds?

thanks...

Comment

• jmet
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2002

"as this program does not display what is happening as dvd decrypter does: can i rest assured it has not skipped/ignored any read errors??"
                No, that is one down side to DVDFab Decrypter and your playback quality could be poor, as ii may have skipped over some important date (video).

"is there any reason why it is a bad idea to use shrink to copy backups?"
                Its not a "bad idea", its just not needed and usually takes longer.

"in decrypter what is the difference between file and iso modes? the end result seems the same, is one way recognised as better for dvds?
                "
                File mode is better! In "File" mode, you are able to manipulate the files after the rip in such programs as "MenuShrink", "VobBlanker", etc. "ISO" mode is for making 1:1 identical copies, for example if you are backing up a "single layer DVD" to a "single layer blank disc" or a "dual layer DVD" to a "dual layer blank disc".

Comment

• feynman
                  • Oct 2005

thanks jmet...

Comment

• jmet
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2002

You're very welcome! Glad I could help.

Comment

• feynman
                      • Oct 2005

hi,

on closer inspection dvdfab did not work, both disks messed up near the end...

i have been through most of my backups and have this problem with many of them, but some i know for a fact i successfully copied a few months ago...

also in the last few days i have managed to copy two of the problem disks by backing them up first thing in the morning after turning on my pc, i tried again half an hour later and get errors with the exact same disk...

does it sound like my writer is on the way out? its a nec3500, nearly a year old and been pretty well used in that time.

thanks
                      Last edited by feynman; 20 Nov 2005, 12:18 AM.

Comment

• jmet
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2002

"both disks messed up near the end..."
                        That sounds like the use of bad media or burning to fast.

If your backup freezes, stutters, skips, or has some pixelation, it is more than likely due to poor quality media being used. Cheap media is poorly manufactured around the edge of the disc, hence the reason why it mostly skips or freezes from the middle toward the end of the movie. The two main things to consider first are:

1. Is it cheap media that you are using? (ie. some off brand you bought at a local computer store/fair, even a store like Circuit City or Best Buy sells cheap low quality media.)

2. How fast are you burning? - Burn no faster than 4X, might have to go down to 2X with really cheap media.

Also, are you using adhesive labels on your back ups? If so, try removing the labels (if you can) and playing them again. Go here for more info on why not to use labels. - http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=28604

You can go here for some other possible solutions: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=44912

Also try lowering outcome the "Target DVD size".

Open DVD Shrink. Click "Edit", then "Preferences". On the first tab at the top in the drop down box, change it from "DVD-5 (4.7GB) to "Custom" and enter a number of 4200MB (4464MB is burning to the edge of the disc, you want to stay away from the edge as the edge of cheap media (disc's) are poorly manufactured). Screen Shot Below:

Last edited by blutach; 20 Nov 2005, 12:36 AM. Reason: image didnt show - wrong tags

Comment

• feynman
                          • Oct 2005

the read errors are nearly all occuring near the end of the backups, however they have always played fine on my standalone.

the copies that messed up near the end during playback had scenes missing and scenes repeated, i believe this was caused by dvdfab skipping read errors, not bad media...

i did manage to copy two of the problem disks and watched one all the way through and it is perfect, but if i try to copy it again im still getting errors...because of this and that i have copied them successfully in the past i dont think the problem is with the disks but that my writer is struggling to read them...?
                          Last edited by feynman; 20 Nov 2005, 12:54 AM.

Comment

• jmet
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2002

I have had backups that played fine all the way through but, I couldn't copy the copy because it was on cheap media.

Comment

• feynman
                              • Oct 2005

i now use datawrite titanium but the problem disks are all 8x ritek printable, i think they are good quality? and came from a reliable source...as i say i have successfully copied the very same disks in the past...

thanks
                              Last edited by feynman; 20 Nov 2005, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎