Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Which burner to buy? - Digital Video Forums

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which burner to buy?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Which burner to buy?

benq's were further ahead than I thought, nec's strong second
  • BR7
    He is coming to your little town!
    • Aug 2005

From what I have been reading Benq and HP dvd640i are not that different from each other I have had no problem with my HP here is a <a href="http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=268&page=Features">Link</a> on it
    Last edited by BR7; 21 Nov 2005, 07:40 PM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• jmet
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2002

NEC all the way for me!

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by BR7
        From what I have been reading Benq and HP dvd640i are not that different from each other I have had no problem with my HP here is a <a href="http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=268&page=Features">Link</a> on it
        hehehehe
        "The HP 640I BenQ firmware version should be CS30 but there are no firmware upgrades available at this time or a means to cross flash it to a BenQ 1625 that I'm aware of."

windows sees it as a 640C? benq
        some were liteons

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by jmet
          NEC all the way for me!
          like she said!
          "My NEC drives are my fun drives, they are very tweakable and very robust.
          I also use them for burning all DVD-R and most DVD+R"
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Chewy; 21 Nov 2005, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Floppy

I purchased a lovelly Plextor 716A and I was so impressed I bought another...

Now side by side with a mates NEC and his gets smoked everytime...

Theire support is unrivaled and RMA is superb they actively develop newer f/w faster than any other brand I know... (I dont keep tabs on that so I shouldn't really state it like so but hey)

Comment

• Cambion7
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Nov 2005

BitSetting and Booktypes - NEC/ LG/Plextor???

I just found out this evening (I'm kind of new) that my Pioneer DVR-108 won't do bitsetting (booktype) so my burning of a functional DL is out of the question. So now I'm in the market for a recorder that WILL do the bitsetting for the booktype DVD-ROM. I've seen people talking about NEC and someone with a Memorex even.

What model numbers for NEC are supported by the likes of DVDD or ImgBurn where I can set the booktype to DVD-ROM? I don't want to do out and spend the money only to find the burner I end up with won't do it either.

Thanks in advance for any help that may come my way.
              Like the info in these forums? Want to contribute? Click here to Register for Free!

"In space, nobody can hear you cha cha cha...."
              - Confidence

Comment

• Cambion7
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Cambion7
                What model numbers for NEC are supported by the likes of DVDD or ImgBurn where I can set the booktype to DVD-ROM? I don't want to do out and spend the money only to find the burner I end up with won't do it either.

Thanks in advance for any help that may come my way.
                I know some people don't like ReBadged models, but why? NEC from what I read is rebadged as Mad Dog. Would these drives be able to handle bitsetting?
                Like the info in these forums? Want to contribute? Click here to Register for Free!

- Confidence

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

The nec 3540's are disappearing and being replaced by the 3550's.
                  BenQ 1640 retail is probably the other alternative I would consider.
                  LG is an excellent drive but lacks scanning. Plex's are too expensive.

ND-3500A/G 2.1A (DL bitsetting)
                  ND-3520AW 3.06 (DL bitsetting)
                  ND-3530A 3.04 (DL bitsetting)
                  ND-3540A 1.03 (DL bitsetting)
                  ND-3550A 1.05 (DL bitsetting)
                  ND-3560A ---- (DL bitsetting)
                  ND-4550A 1.06 (DL bitsetting)
                  ND-4551A 1.L8 (DL bitsetting)

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

I know some people don't like ReBadged models, but why? NEC from what I read is rebadged as Mad Dog. Would these drives be able to handle bitsetting?
                    In some ways the mad dogs have better firmware and it's used for hacked
                    nec drives.

Comment

• jmet
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2002

I just bought a NEC 3540A from newegg.com for $39 . It does bitsetting. I love it! (It rips DVD very fast as well!)

Comment

• Floppy

Wilst The various users will love and swear by diferent drives, so will I.

Allow me to introduce a champion amongst Burners... I have two of them and will fulfill your needs to an extreme high quality level.

PLEXTOR-716A

You can find out more extensive media compatibility list here This drive f/w is so well developed that besides a RPC1 hacked f/w also available.

The shear volume of functions this drive can perform in comparison will leave many other drives standing in it's shadow... i.e.hability to password protect CD burns without any third party software.

I waited months for a drive like this...

Heck have a look for yourself...
                        Last edited by Guest; 25 Nov 2005, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

I waited 4 months on new firmware for our 712a, returning media that
                          the nec's and our 708a had no problem with, finally gave up on it and
                          left it in a graphics computer to burn one gig photoshop data files.
                          Good burner(plex 712a), poor firmware support, way overpriced.
                          Plex 5th place right behind Liteon.
                          Last edited by Chewy; 25 Nov 2005, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Cambion7
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by jmet
                            I just bought a NEC 3540A from newegg.com for $39 . It does bitsetting. I love it! (It rips DVD very fast as well!)
                            Was this bitsetting out-of-the-box? I've read somewhere that some of these drives require a hack for bitsetting to work.

- Confidence

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

Was this bitsetting out-of-the-box? I've read somewhere that some of these drives require a hack for bitsetting to work.
                              DualLayer only out of the box, but just about everyone here uses
                              utilities or hacked(modified) firmware to bitset dvd+r's to dvd-rom.

Q: Do BenQ drives support bitsetting, also known as book type modification?
                              A: Yes BenQ provide bitsetting support for all DVD+R/RW/DL discs in their official firmware's, by default BenQ set the book type as DVD-ROM for all DVD+ discs in their firmware.

the benq 1640 retail

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎