Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Yes I always use "Modified" firmware for my drives. That is one of the first things I do after installing a drive.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

Jmet,
      And from the looks of your avatar, that keeps you very happy!

Comment

• jmet
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2002

Originally Posted by rbrtpl
        Jmet,
        And from the looks of your avatar, that keeps you very happy!
        Oh but it does!

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by jmet
          Oh but it does!
          Kinda nice of NEC to use such an openformat firmware system and
          facilitate such wonderful modifications by that crew over at cdfreaks.

Comment

• jmet
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2002

Extremely nice! (Although, in them doing that I'm sure it has boosted their sales)

Comment

• Floppy

Originally Posted by rbrtpl
              I waited 4 months on new firmware for our 712a, returning media that
              the nec's and our 708a had no problem with, finally gave up on it and
              left it in a graphics computer to burn one gig photoshop data files.
              Good burner(plex 712a), poor firmware support, way overpriced.
              Plex 5th place right behind Liteon.
              I waited for months for the right drive from anyone.... the right drive was a plextor 716A... I would have never bought any other .... no one as released adrive like the PX 716a... I have no regreats... the compatibility list is massive....... more than anyon would ever need.... I also investigated Plextor b4 I finally placed the order...

Comment

• jmet
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2002

Who thinks "Floppy" likes Plextor?

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

After what he paid for it, he better like it, heck I would LOVE it,
                  until I got some new media and burned a bunch of coasters, then I,
                  nevermind, it's a public forum.

Comment

• Floppy

mmm... Maybe it is a little too much but I did get two for the price of one...

One I bought, the other was free... Never burnt a coaster...

By the by I would have never/will never buy or recommend a 712A.

Your right it is a public forum and I do love them, not just any Plextor I waited for the right drive.... If it had been NEC/SONY/OTHER I would habve bought it too...

I cant be exact now but I have posted something in a topic with mig$y about this back when I hadnt been striking....

It was something about me only buying a DL drive when a Brand made one that supported -R DL format.... Guess who was the first?

I finally after a while realised that the reason my Other PC the one with the Sony DWU10A wouldnt go faster than I reported back then.... It was because that Stupid silly crap drive just doesnt support other great media besides theire approved media list and even then it presents same results, still...

No firmware upgrade still... OEM=CRAP. Mind the retail version wich I also have on the other pc is no better...

So after Sony big flop I go PLextor all the way until someone better puts out a drive that again does all formats under one roof including HD/BD/-R DL/+R DL and whtever they come up with next.... Until then I will have the same drive...

Start this great drive search all over again?? Of course no probs!
                    Last edited by Guest; 26 Nov 2005, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Cambion7
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Floppy
                      Wilst The various users will love and swear by diferent drives, so will I.

Allow me to introduce a champion amongst Burners... I have two of them and will fulfill your needs to an extreme high quality level.

PLEXTOR-716A
                      Well after printing out a list of external and internal drives from VideoHelp I decided to head to CompUSA only to find the choice to be disappointing to say the least. So off to Fry(skie)'s I went. Where I started out looking for a Mad Dog drive, I ended up with a Plextor PX-716UF! So now I have something to connect to my Asus' firewire port

Thanks to everyone for their opinions and input. I'm going to special order the Verbatim DL's since those seem to be the best (and recommended by Plextor from what it seems).

Cambion7
                      Like the info in these forums? Want to contribute? Click here to Register for Free!

"In space, nobody can hear you cha cha cha...."
                      - Confidence

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

Allright!, I would be very interested in how fast you could burn a full
                        movie on that firewire interface. My guess is 7 minutes or less.

single layer 16x media

Comment

• Cambion7
                          Digital Video Expert
                          Digital Video Expert
                          • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
                          Allright!, I would be very interested in how fast you could burn a full
                          movie on that firewire interface. My guess is 7 minutes or less.

single layer 16x media
                          I'll see if I can locate some 16x single layers in my local shops. Otherwise I'll have to order those then report the results.

I did go into Imgburn, select the tabs to change booktype, went to the Plextor tab, told it DVD+R/DL and booktype DVD-ROM and it said SUCCESS but the current profile remains at DVD+RDL so I ran a burn anyway. Will see what happens. I really got this drive specifically so I could do the bitsettings.

There's this PlexTools Professional that is supposed to let me tweak settings, so I'll have to check that out as well.

Best Regards,
                          Cambion7
                          Like the info in these forums? Want to contribute? Click here to Register for Free!

"In space, nobody can hear you cha cha cha...."
                          - Confidence

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

do you have any good 8x +r media?
                            some drives overburn at 16x or 12x
                            I just ordered 100 verb 16x dvd+r's for 35$ free shipping at newegg

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                              Demigod of Digital Video
                              • Nov 2004

bloody right!

i was going to suggest to you chewy that you have your username changed to "chewy" but you did it already. well done, looks great!
                              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                              Columbo moments...
                              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Chewy
                                Super Moderator
                                • Nov 2003

And many thanks to you for naming me. The nickname started to really grow on me, sort of like the hair.

Comment

Working...