Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Two issues - with Nero and with Roxio

Default Two issues - with Nero and with Roxio

I created a movie using Pinnacle Studio 9; rendered several small .avi files and then tried to burn them to dvd using Nero. I have tried repeatedly without success to get a usable disc. I've encountered several issues, not the least of which is that each finished disc from Nero seems to work fine until I get to the second chapter of my main title. At that point I lose all sound. My avi files are fine. They play perfectly in any other format. They play without a problem during the preview before burning. I've adjusted every possible thing I can think of, including following all the suggested "golden rules of burning" posted on these forums. The same thing happens every time, without fail.

I finally gave up and tried to use Roxio's DVD Builder, which is terribly clunky, I know, but it was the only other DVD creation software I had. The problem I encounter with Roxio is that it estimates the project size to be much bigger than it actually is, necessitating a lower quality setting so that it can shrink the project down to fit onto the disk. This doesn't make sense to me.

My main title is 1 hour and 14 minutes long. My second title is 18 minutes long. I'm not a genius but even I can do the math. A standard DVD is supposed to hold about 2 hours of video.

Nero estimates my project to be about 3.85GB. Roxio estimates it to be more than 6GB! I know that's just not the case. What do I have to do? In order to fit the project on the disc using Roxio, I have to select the lowest possible quality setting. I can get it to burn this way, but it looks like crap! Someone please help. I have been working on this for weeks and I'm extremely frustrated.

I don't seem to be getting any hits here, but I've been doing some reading on the forums, and most opinions seem to lean toward the negative when it comes to Roxio and Nero.

I also notice that this site seems to be more about backing up existing dvds than about creating original dvds from your own video files, which is fine, but it isn't really what I need to know, although I have found an abundance of very useful information.

Can anyone recommend a direction for me to go from here? I worked on this movie for almost a year. The video is good, but I'd like to be able to share it, and to do that I need to be able to burn it successfully, in good quality, to disc. I can't seem to do that to save my life.

Can anyone out there help me?

Not a god of digital video blutach's Avatar

You have a workable DVD lilfella?

Make an image with ImgToolsClassic 0.91.6 and burn it with DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn.

And please don't bump your posts - read the forum rules please.

Regards

Oops. Sorry about bumping the post. Didn't intend. Just thought of something else to say and then responded to my own post. Silly. Should have thought.

To answer your question, though. No, I don't have a disc. These are my original avi files, stored on my computer, that I'm trying to make into a dvd. I edited my movie using Pinnacle Studio 9, rendered the video, and now I'm trying to turn those files into a dvd. That's the problem. I can't even get past the original disc burn, much less make a copy of an image. Do you have any suggestions?

Demigod of Digital Video
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Not a god of digital video blutach's Avatar

So the files are not DVD compliant? Clearly before you make images/burn they need to be.

I am not familiar with the products you are using. But this guide might help you.

Regards

I'm unable to locate a log file according to the instructions in the linked post you provided. Sorry, I don't know if it's just me or what, but there was no log file in the C:/Program Files/Ahead/Nero/ path.

Blutach, I have built dvd's before with avi's as my source video. I'm not trying to back up or make a copy of a disc. I'm trying to create one.

lifella:

You say you have "built" DVDs in the past from AVIs as the original source video. Can you tell us what software you are using to actually "create" a set of files (from thos AVI files) that will be DVD compliant?

I use NeroVision Express for a project such as this.

I have read and re-read your post, and it is not clear to me what you are using to go from .AVI files to .VOB files. Unless, of course, you are using Pinnacle to do that (I do not work with Pinnacle, so I have no idea if that program has this capability).

-Bruce

Been out of the loop for a few days due to the holiday. Didn't mean to neglect my posts.

BSpielbauer - I use Pinnacle Studio 9 to capture and edit my movies and then render them into .avi format. After that, I use NeroVision Express 3 to build the DVD's and burn them to disc. It's a format I've used before successfully several times, so I don't understand what's wrong. I've tried more than ten times now to get a useable disc, even tried burning the image straight to my hard drive instead, still no success.

I have two main titles; my movie and a behind the scenes featurette. The movie is 1 hour and 15 minutes long. The featurette is about 18 minutes. The project size is about 3.85 GB. After burning, my menus look and work fine. My featurette plays without a problem. The first chapter of my main movie plays fine. However as soon as the next segment of the film begins, there is no sound. No sound through any of the subsequent chapters either. Each of the individual .avi files I created to put the movie together all work without a problem when played individually on my computer (Windows media player). They also work fine during the preview phase of creating the DVD. I'd like to post a log of the last burn session attempt, but the only thing I have is the Nero text file, and it's too long to post here. I could email it to someone, I suppose.

I worked on this film for almost a year. It's taken a lot out of me, personally and financially. To have worked this hard and not be able to share it with people is very frustrating. I hope someone here has answers for me. I appreciate anything you can think of that might help.

Unhappy-2 getting glitches in burnt movies

everytime i burn a movie i always get these little square glitches in the movie can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong. i've tried dvd+r/-r and i still get the same results.i'm using a lite-on internal burner that says its compatible with these blank discs. i have dvd decryptor and dvd shrink 3.2.i'm at my witts end here.and i've already went through severl discs.

Demigod of Digital Video
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Thread Information