• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

H264

At a given bitrate, does H264 produce better quality than XVid or DivX?I encoded a small clip using H264 at a bitrate of only 800.Result was unexpectedly good.I read in the forum that H264 is good at lower bitrates.Now, will it also give better results at higher bitrates?Do stand alone players support H264?
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

H264 definitely beats xvid/divx at lower bitrates, but even more so at higher bitrates and resolutions. infact, both next-gen formats use H264 (edit: sony's bluray intends to use mpeg-2 now)

there are currently no hardware H264 players, aside from the portable stuff like Video Ipod and Sony's PSP. players will support them soon
    Last edited by anonymez; 29 Dec 2005, 12:04 AM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• electrfunch
      • Nov 2005

and about processing complexity

Concerning H.264 I just have a question concerning the processing power we must use to encode. For example with the same processing power which will give us better results: MPEG-4 or MPEG4 Layer 10 (a.k.a, H.264)? If you dont have processing constrains then there is no discussion that H.264 is better but when the processing speed is limited... and I'm discussing only real time encoding, because if you are encoding offline the time isn't that important.

Comment

Working...