Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Unique request on how to capture from a PC

Default Unique request on how to capture from a PC

Did a search around the forums but didn't find anything close as to what I am trying to do.

I create flightsim and game videos by playing the game on one PC and capturing it on a 2nd PC via an S-video cable. It works, it's ok, but I am looking for a pure "digital" solution.

Is there any know PC cards that export a digital signial whereby I could then use a video capture card (probably via firewire) on the 2nd PC? Looking for something that won't break the bank either

Yes, I have heard of capturing with Fraps, Camtasia (and several others). I've tried I think all of those out there but my capture situations are usually so cpu intensive (causing stutters), I need to export that data to a 2nd PC for capture. I am already running the gaming rig at 4GHz.

I have heard of some people capturing to a video camera and then d/l back into the PC when done, but wouldn't that capture be through an analog source?

Appreciate any ideas.

Well, I can see checking back in the forum that no one has a simple answer. The more researched I did the more I am believing there is no way to do this.

hmmmmmmmmmm.. sorry dude cant help you out there. but im just curious, basicly you wanna capture video to a computer from another computer. right? im having trouble capturing video from my cheap dazzle thing. the software really sucks. anyways try asking blutach

Yea, you got it. Well, I see two options I'm looking into:

1. - Overclocking probably upgrading to water cooling and capture from the same PC or

2. - Find the best quality card to capture S-video on the 2nd PC (say $200-$500 for the capture card).

Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert

Are you trying all this with a "soft" card?
    Why not use a hardware mpeg-2 card? (hauppauge PVR-150 for example)
    Not exactly 100% digital, but it will cap via S-Vid, and you don't need a 4ghz system to do it.

No, for S-video I have been using various hardware capture cards. Tried WinTV, ATI TV Wonder Pro and a Turtle Beach capture card. Haven't tried Hauppauge yet or another one that (can't think of the name ), which is highly recommended (think it's around $300US. But thay are all thru the S-video. Just need to find the one that is best but so far none have really stood out as a "WoW what a sharp picture" look. They all are good but just not sharp as a true screen image.

Ah... the quest continues

What are you doing with the video once it is on the 2nd PC?

I capture in raw AVI files, then I copy them back to the 1st PC for editing and post-production. I'm doing more tests with the S-video connection as we speak. Can be very touchy as to what programs will capture it and what ones will capture it with the best quality I can achieve. It's not that bad but you can notice the difference between an S-video capture and a screen capture.

I have heard of some people capturing to a video camera and then d/l back into the PC when done, but wouldn't that capture be through an analog source?
    If you have some time read this thread http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=30624

Basically, you connect the s-video cable to the camcorder and it coverts it to a digital signal and sends to your PC via the firewire card for you to capture.

Yea, I know a few people that do it that way. I look into it further but since they are also u/l via an S-cable it's also an analog signal thus loosing some quality. Maybe better than going through a capture card but I would think not since there is one extra step of d/l the signal back to the harddisk. I would think there would be an additional loss there but maybe not.

Floppy

Excuse me wilst I bypass...

I believe that a Leadtek PVR 2000 is the only card you need (not costing the earth) along with of course a Videocamera and a firewire port...

This card as a lot of surprises under the bonnet.... Specially with it direct hardware encoding via a dedicated chip... Im sure you can figure out the rest...

Thx for the tip Floppy. Already have a Leadtek PVR 2000 Pro version (also a ATI TV Wonder and a Turtle Beach capture card). That end of the equation is easy for capture cards. The hard part was getting a digital signal out of the 1st PC.

After talking with several video companies, there is basically no such card available. So I am working on my "plan B", overclocking my PC to 4GHz (at 3.8Ghz so far), to achieve good enough framerates to use a screen capture program like Fraps. So far I am seeing good results.

Floppy

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo
    Thx for the tip Floppy. Already have a Leadtek PVR 2000 Pro version (also a ATI TV Wonder and a Turtle Beach capture card). That end of the equation is easy for capture cards. The hard part was getting a digital signal out of the 1st PC.

After talking with several video companies, there is basically no such card available. So I am working on my "plan B", overclocking my PC to 4GHz (at 3.8Ghz so far), to achieve good enough framerates to use a screen capture program like Fraps. So far I am seeing good results.
    Not that I want to sound doubtful or anything but....

You will never be able to tell the diference, I dont care of how much of a perfectionist you are.... Unless of course you had bionic retinas implanted...

Leadtek PVR2000 PRO....

Unless you show a link to the exact location of such card It does not exist. Leadtek dont make such wonderful machines...

there is software on this website(i am searching for it myself) that will send media player video thru firewire to camera or dv deck or dvd recorder. I assume you could send it to another computer to capture on. Or you could burn it to DVD(or miniDV) and then recapture).

Thread Information