Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ekss
    • Dec 2005

Out of sync during playback

i have successfully converted divx/xvid movies to vcd ang burn it to cdr. but when i play it in my stand alone player i got an out of sync audio in the middle part of the second cd.

i have repeated the conversion and the burning procedure for three times but still get the same problem and have wasted more cdr's.

please help.
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

why burn a problem file untill it plays back ok on the pc? i NEVER waste ANY discs.

1) what software is being used

2) does the encoded file play with proper sync on the pc?
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• ekss
      • Dec 2005

i burned it in cdr because my wife doesnt like watching movies in my computer. so i decided to convert it to vcd coz thats the only stand alone player i got.

i use winavi7 in converting avi to vcd and yes the encoded file play proper sync on my pc

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
        It Was The Dog, I Swear!
        • Nov 2003

I have Questions:
        #1] When you use winavi to convert an avi to vcd, does it produce an mpeg file(s) that you can play to check for problems before you burn?

It's the converted mpeg that needs to be checked for problems before burning, not the original AVI. I'm pretty sure that's what LT Columbo meant when he said "does the encoded file play with proper sync on the pc?" He didn't mean the AVI. You need to check the mpeg(s) that are produced after conversion.

Question #2] On your vcd disk two, does the sound just suddenly go out of sync, or does it slowly go out of sync?

If you don't get an mpeg to playback after converting, you can't check it for problems. Also, if your audio on vcd disk 2 suddenly goes out of sync, then the problem is most likely an error in the original AVI that needs to be fixed before converting it to mpeg. Perhaps a few frames have errors and those frames are located exactly where the audio went out of sync.

An AVI can usually play just fine all the way through, even with a few bad frames, but when a program encounters bad frames during conversion, audio goes out of sync in the final output.

Hope that gives you some idea what's going on. Good luck
        Last edited by DrinkOrDie; 3 Dec 2005, 06:03 PM.
        My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• ekss
          • Dec 2005

yes it produce mpeg file(s) and the converted/encoded mpeg file(s) play proper sync on my pc.

it suddenly goes out of sync.

i think you are correct with the avi file having problem, if it so how can i fixed it? is there any software that would fix erroneous avi file(s)?

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
            It Was The Dog, I Swear!
            • Nov 2003

To isolate and "fix" avi problems I use Virtualdub or one of it's variants in most cases. Usually it's very few frames in just one spot causing the problem. In a case like that, I use Virtualdub to simply cut out the bad frames and save to a new AVI without converting audio or video. If the audio of the AVI is variable bitrate, then more steps are needed before you can simply cut out bad frames.

Still, I find it strange that your converted mpeg (movie part 2) mpeg plays on PC with no sync problems, yet goes out of sync when you playback the VCD.

More info is needed about the AVI and your part 2 mpeg. You should post more info about the files. After you do that, there are many members in here that might be able to help, armed with the details.

Use virtualdub or gspot to analyze your file(s) and post the details.
            My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

it sounds like your player doing this. you say the mpeg (encoded) file(s) play good on the pc--so they are fine.

when i watch a VCD on my dvd player and i pause it say for 10 min, then hit play the sound is out by about 2 seconds. i just press << for a sec then play and it plays like it should. if your disc skips, that will cause it to go out of sync to i have found.
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• ekss
                • Dec 2005

i tried using gspot to check the file and found out that the audio of the 2nd part of my avi file had problems.

i downloaded the same movie from another server to solve my problems

thank you guys for helping me out. i really appreciate it

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

glad we could be of some use
                  Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎