Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmtbb
    • Dec 2005

Need help for HDTV to PC

I know you can buy a HDTV tuner card for the pc. However, I have a Dish Network HDTV receiver. What can I do to get the HD signal into my pc. My ATI All In Wonder card only allows S-Video INPUT. Is there an easy way to connect the DVI HDTV signal into my PC for recording, like through USB 2 or fiiiiire wire, or a DVI PCI input card?
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Do you need it in HD? Otherwise, you can just get one of those "system selectors" and plug your cable into it, and plug an S-Video cable into the output. If you want, I will make a really badly drawn Paint drawing of this. If you do need HD, go to a local computer store and ask them for help
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Floppy

@drfsupercenter...

What the.....

@mmtbb

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Heh, never mind then Floppy.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by mmtbb
          Is there an easy way to connect the DVI HDTV signal into my PC for recording, like through USB 2 or fiiiiire wire, or a DVI PCI input card?
          yes, get a dvb-s pci card (not the same as a dvb-t card. the s is for satellite)
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• mmtbb
            • Dec 2005

Any segestions of where to purchase one?

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

your local PC store, or online search here http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...SubCategory=47

Comment

• mmtbb
                • Dec 2005

Actually, I don't know if this is what I need. It seems like everything I have looked at has a tuner installed in the card, requiring an antenna connection. I already have a Dish Network HDTV receiver box. It has a lot of different OUTs including a DVI out that is supposed to attach to a HDTV. However, I was wondering if there is a way to connect the DVI from the receiver to my PC so that I can view and record the DVI signal for HDTV. I hope that makes sense.

PS. This way I could also record the HD Discovery channel, TNT etc. coming from the receiver
                Last edited by mmtbb; 4 Dec 2005, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

i just re-read your first post, you say you're trying to capture dish network hdtv. i believe the signal is encrypted, you can't do it without a lot of trouble, or even legally...

Comment

• mmtbb
                    • Dec 2005

Let me explain one more time
                    I already have two PAID subscriptions with dishnetwork. I have two of their boxes. One for my regular TV. The other is their HDTV Satellite receiver which I hook up to my projector. I can very easily hook up my receiver to my PC, but the highest input my card will allow is s-Video. What I want to do is instead of using my Projector for a HDTV, I want to use my PC. THerefore I want to send the DVI output to my PC. Is there a way to do this?

Comment

• anonymez
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by mmtbb
                      THerefore I want to send the DVI output to my PC. Is there a way to do this?
                      yes, but very, very expensive last time i checked. (at least US$2000 to capture dvi input) not suitable for consumers...

a quick google search gave me this http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=77096

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                        NOT an online superstore
                        • Oct 2005

Hmmm... I recall that HD also uses component video inputs too? Maybe cards with component video are a lower price? And what I meant by my previous post is... when capturing, unless it is uncompressed, you lose quality, so why capture HD when it will look like a normal TV signal on the PC? Maybe there is a difference - I do not have HD so I have no idea. I just have regular 99-channel cable.
                        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• anonymez
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2004

drf, see my posts in this thread to see how damn good HDTV looks http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=54759

Comment

Working...