Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Bad Media Or Bad Burn ??

Exclamation Bad Media Or Bad Burn ??

Here is the million dollar question that I hope someone can figure out bc it is driving me nucking futs. I have backed up well over 100 dvd's so i am pretty familiar wtih the process however, so of my disc have been screwing up at the end (i.e. bad pixelation, pausing, bad sound, etc.) is this because of bad media or a bad burn. I never burn faster than 4X and I cant upgrade my firmware to the latest version bc everytime i do it doesnt recognize my drive.
    The burner I have is a TDK-420N with firmware 1.39 the most recent is 1.39A which will not work

Disc ID is MCC-003-00
    Now someone on here once told me that these were "excellent" media however, I am starting to disagree. I was told that on cheaper media the edges of the disc are not properly dyed or something along those lines. Please help me out if at all possible. I will provide any further information if needed. Thanks JJ

Super Moderator

Even with "good" or "excellent" media, you still have the chance of getting a "bad disc" or a "bad batch of disc". Some people would like to call that a "manufacture defect".

If your backup freezes, stutters, skips, or has some pixelation, it is more than likely due to poor quality media being used. Cheap media is poorly manufactured around the edge of the disc, hence the reason why it mostly skips or freezes from the middle toward the end of the movie. The two main things to consider first are:

1. Is it cheap media that you are using? (ie. some off brand you bought at a local computer store/fair, even a store like Circuit City or Best Buy sells cheap low quality media.)

2. How fast are you burning? - Burn no faster than 4X, might have to go down to 2X with really cheap media.

Also, are you using adhesive labels on your back ups? If so, try removing the labels (if you can) and playing them again. Go here for more info on why not to use labels. - http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=28604

You can go here for some other possible solutions: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=44912

Also try lowering outcome the "Target DVD size".

Open DVD Shrink. Click "Edit", then "Preferences". On the first tab at the top in the drop down box, change it from "DVD-5 (4.7GB) to "Custom" and enter a number of 4200MB (4464MB is burning to the edge of the disc, you want to stay away from the edge as the edge of cheap media (disc's) are poorly manufactured). Screen Shot Below:

I moved your thread to the correct forum.

Unavailable

have you tried firmware 1.3.A?

Super Moderator

Yes he/she has corn, he/she said it wouldn't recognize his/her drive.

Unavailable

Quote Originally Posted by jlohojo7
    firmware 1.39 the most recent is 1.39A which will not work
    Quote Originally Posted by jmet
    Yes he/she has corn, he/she said it wouldn't recognize his/her drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by cornholio7
    have you tried firmware 1.3.A?
    just checking

what will lowering the target size of the dvd do. I dont want to cut out any of the menus or features if i dont have to!! Thank Joe

Super Moderator

Lowering the target size will keep you from burning so close to the edge of the blank media. (The edge of the media is where you experience playback problems.) You will not lose menus and/or features.

so should i change this on all of my burns?? Keep it at 4200?? What if it requires more disc space like some dvds??

Super Moderator

I recommend permanenetly changing it to "4200" or "4300".

Not a god of digital video blutach's Avatar

Gee, not sure I would for MCC disks. You can usually burn right up to the very last byte on them. How old's that burner? Might need a lens clean - though only 100 burns should be OK.

Everything else OK in the system? Read and implement the Golden Rules of Burning.

Regards

Super Moderator

where did the 1.3A come from?
    the drive is an nec oem 1100 and can be crossflashed to nec 1300 dual format

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy
    where did the 1.3A come from?
    the drive is an nec oem 1100 and can be crossflashed to nec 1300 dual format
    i dont know about that It says TDK-420N so are you sure i can flash it with a nec?? The 1.3A came from the page where i everyone gets theirs on one of the moderators links at the bottom of his post/sig.

I would say that the drive is about 3-4 years old I have recently used a dvd lens cleaning disk on it. Any other recs from you guys thanks for all the input. Joe
    Last edited by jlohojo7; 6 Dec 2005 at 09:31 AM

Well in that case what is a good fast one I can get for a decent dollar. I have been wanting to get a quicker one anyways!!! From start to finish it takes sometime upwards of over an hour and 15 mins!!! how long does it take you guys. any ideas?? So those are good disc i shouldnt throw them away?? Joe

Super Moderator

I would highly recommend getting the NEC 3550A. I just recently bought its predecessor (the 3540A) and absolutely love it. On top of that, heck its only $38.99 with free shipping right now at newegg.com. Its not only a great burner, it is a awesome ripper as well! I can rip a DVD-9 (Dual Layer) in about 9 min. - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827152059

(Note: You will need "Modified Firmware" for the kind of performance I am talking about. Although, it is great right out of the box too.)

Thread Information