Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TWISTER
    • Dec 2005

Bad drive or bad media?

I am new at this and have been learning for the past week or so......searching, searching, searching. I have gotten a lot of great info from this forum and need some help. Through reasoning and deduction I have decided that my drive may be bad or the media is not compatible but I don't have enough experience so......

Drive: new Sony DW-Q30A just installed as master and cd rw drive as slave.
    Software: Nero, DVD Shrink/Decrypter, Img Burn.
    o/s: Windows XP Home ed.
    Media: TDK DVD+R 8X CMC MAG E01 (yeah, the good stuff!)

I have no trouble ripping to the hard drive, but out of 6 attempts with different dvds, have only 1 good burn. These are not new movies I'm backing up, "Tombstone", for example. Gave my buddy some of these TDK discs and he had no problem burning to them. Compatibility? There's more...

When I put a "bad burn" disc in the drive I get a "no disc in drive" message. When I put a "store bought" dvd in the drive, WMP says there is no media present and Interactual Player says "Error PL4013: Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem." So, I can't play good dvds from the new drive.

Also, used Nero CD-DVD Speed to check bad burn discs. When I click on the Disc Info tab it reads "No disc inserted" and the Start button will not highlight to allow for its use.

I can't think of anything else to add.....please, tell me what you think.
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Honestly, it sound your drive is on its last leg. If I may recommend one, I would get the NEC-3550A. Its a awesome burner and it rips very fast as well with modified firmware. You can get one for $38.99 with free shipping from newegg.com. You really can't beat that. I have its predecessor, the NEC-3540A and I love it! - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827152059

Edit: I have been told the 3550A is better than the 3540A, so I am actually thinking about upgrading to the 3550A.

Comment

• TWISTER
      • Dec 2005

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking and having trouble accepting.... the drive is brand new! I can only exchange it though. I also thought I was getting a good deal at $50. That's what I get for being in a hurry! Live and learn.

Thanks...great forum.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by jmet
        Edit: I have been told the 3550A is better than the 3540A, so I am actually thinking about upgrading to the 3550A.
        From what I have seen and heard, it is better burning, but it and it's big brother(same hardware) the 4550A(does dvd ram) are not good scanners.
        It's being said that these drives are the best drives made by NEC since the

Comment

• glen.co
          • Dec 2005

TWISTER
          Before you toss the drive try disconnecting the CDRW slave and make sure you aren’t running a bunch of things in the background. Disable your antivirus and as many other things you can and try it again.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎