• jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Convert .avi to iPod video using 3GP Converter

Software you will need:
    1. 3gp Converter
    2. iTunes

<hr>
    This guide will show how you can easily convert .avi files to iPoD video files. First start up 3gp Converter (if this is your first time using it, you will need to select "English" for the language). (Screen Shot Below)

After selecting "English", then select "Model: MP4, for iPod" in the upper section of the 3gp Converter window. After that click the "Apply" button. (Screen Shot Below)

From here just select the "Output Directory" and drag and drop the .avi file that you wish to convert to the top section of the 3gp Converter window. (Screen Shot Below)

After dragging and dropping the .avi file in to the 3gp Converter window, it will now start to convert the file for you. (Screen Shot Below)

After converting, 3gp Converter will automatically start up iTunes and place the newly converted file you just made in the play list window. (Screen Shot Below)

In the iTunes window, right click the file you just made and click "Get Info". (Screen Shot Below)

On the screen that pops up, click the "Info" tab at the top, and then begin to fill out the details (Name, Artist, Album, etc.). The file name can be up to 255 characters in length if you wish to change it. You also have to re-add it to the play list if you decided to re-name it. (Screen Shot Below)

Your done, just transfer it to your iPod and enjoy the video anywhere!
    Last edited by admin; 13 Dec 2005, 06:59 PM.
  • drew37
    • Dec 2005

help with 3gp convertoer

jmet read your article great got to load did the drop and drag from the videos i have in limewire. it just sits there and says processing but nothing happens on the progess bar. please help as i just got my video ipod for christmas

Comment

• jmet
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2002

drew37 - Try to drag and drop a different file and see if it does the samething.

Comment

• xdorkiiepoo
        • Dec 2005

jmet ii followed your tutorial and ii added the converted video file to my ipod but when i play the file on my ipod , it is just like listenninq to music . ii can`t see any image . do yu` know whhy ? please help .

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

What model # is your ipod xdorkiiepoo?

Comment

• mith0s
            • Dec 2005

I have a problem with the conversion...I aways get an error

This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL.
            Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
            and delete all but the most recent version. The most recent version *should*
            reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
            installed the cygwin distribution. Rebooting is also suggested if you
            are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
            Dialog : An error has occured during the process. [Error:-1073741819]

So I do exactly that...and still the same error.

Comment

• Red Reagan
              • Dec 2005

Audio trouble

When converting any avi files on my pc the audio slowly gets out of sync with the video by the end of the movie. The problem is worse the larger the final file size. Any help?

Comment

• xdorkiiepoo
                • Dec 2005

jmet do yu` mean model number as in MA002LL ? because ii went to "About" in my ipod and it said Model = MA002LL .

Comment

• jmet
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2002

Well the video you are trying to put on your ipod, does it meet the "system capabilities"?

Here are the capabilities:

Video Format MPEG-4 • H.264

Video Bit-Rate 768 kbps

Max Video Resolution 320 x 240

Comment

• attrition4u
                    • Jan 2006

Finally...A Fix...

I can tell you what has worked for me. I was having the same problem with the audio/video gradually getting out of sync by the end of the video. First, I switched programs. Instead of 3GP, I switched over to Xilisoft. I'm sure that IMTOO would work too though. Then, when you import the video, highlight it and manually switch the 320x240 to a widescreen format if your video is widescreen. For example, 420x208. Then, manually change the frame rate to 29.97 (this is the key). For some reason, all of my videos are at a 23 framerate. But, when I manually changed the frame rate to 29.97, it automatically fixed the audio sync issue. If you choose, change the audio settings to make the output audio stereo and whatever bitrate you want (Xilisoft outputs mono audio unless you tell it otherwise). Voila. No more sync issues.

Comment

• paki123
                      • Jan 2006

Question for Jmet, what if i want to convert a mpg do i need it on some other setting? please explain.

Comment

• paki123
                        • Jan 2006

also when i used this the movie's sound would sometimes be off like a little bit, i only did it once and forgot the settings. THe movie worked fine, it imported and got in, but the sound didnt catch up to the sound. Whats wrong?

Comment

• jmet
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2002

Originally Posted by paki123
                          Question for Jmet, what if i want to convert a mpg do i need it on some other setting? please explain.
                          It should work using the same method as it does for .AVI's. Please report back here if it does or doesn't.

Not sure on your sound issue.

Comment

• Mr. Personality
                            • Jan 2006

I've had a similar problem, once the file is loaded to my iPod there's a distinct synchronization problem that gets worse as the file goes along. Thanks for any help you can give me, this is a great program.

Comment

• Andlew
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2005

DVD to iPod + ipod video converter guide

Great program! Excellent guide!
                              I suggest you set 'frame rate' to 29.97 or 23.976 if you meet with the syncing problem. It seems that there is no software can work well for all guys and all PCs.
                              If the program doesn't work for you, have a look at the DVD to iPod, Video to iPod guide.
                              It can rip DVD to iPod, convert mpeg, avi, wmv to ipod video format.
                              Last edited by Andlew; 10 Jan 2006, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎