Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TWISTER
    • Dec 2005

OEM vs Retail

I want to get a new dvd drive. What's the difference between an OEM drive and a 'Retail' drive? Also, should I use the -R or +R media. What's the (unbiased) difference between them. (My stand-alone player is supposed to be able to play either.)
    Last edited by TWISTER; 11 Dec 2005, 12:09 AM.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

With nec and lg there is no difference except the software and cables.
    With Benq there is a firmware difference, big one.
    Try verbatim + and - disks, test.

Comment

• bigmacnc
      • Oct 2005

Where I purchase there is only 2-3 dollars difference in the price, so I choose retail. Also the OEM Warranty is usually provided by the seller and shorter. On many computer products retail can be the best buy, example AMD CPU retail includes fan with heat shrink and 3 year Warranty while OEM does not have a fan or heat shrink and Warranty is only 90 days. When you add the difference after purchasing all that is needed cost is not much lower but may be higher with shorter Warranty. Unless there is a major difference in price I always go retail. If your buying in bulk of 10,000 units, the OEM may be worth the extra risk due to a lower pricing structure.

Mack

Comment

• TWISTER
        • Dec 2005

There is only $5 difference between the OEM and retail versions of the NEC ND-3550A at Newegg.

Chewy, do I need the software for the internal IDE drive?

bigmacnc, 10,000 units? I just got ripped by someone on ebay who probably buys them like that. Problem is, he won't even return my emails. Somehow, leaving negative feedback doesn't seem to give me any satisfaction cause I'm still out $50.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

well you get nero, 4 screws and a good cable for 5$

Comment

• bigmacnc
            • Oct 2005

Yeah, lot of people on ebay buy bulk and resale or retail with rebates that they keep. I usually avoid computer products off ebay. I find that I can buy off a known site with little difference in price. I usually use zipzoomfly dot com because of price displayed includes 2nd day fedex shipping. I did by a Maxtor HD off ebay once and ad said it did not work. I contacted him and got manufacture date and bought it since Maxtor had 3 year replacement. I bought it and made sure it was not working, contacted Maxtor and gave a CC number as deposit, next day or 2 received a refurbished one that was larger with label to return old one, so put old one in the box and returned so my CC would not be charged.

Most of software drivers, and manuals needed for any drive is on the manufacture's website for download.

Mack

Comment

• drfsupercenter
              NOT an online superstore
              • Oct 2005

I didn't need anything for my drive... didn't come with drivers. I just put it in, and installed the Nero suite (OEM) and it worked fine. It was prolly an OEM drive, but who knows... suits me fine!
              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
              Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
              My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡