• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

VobSub Subtitle Ripping and Playback Guide

Software you will need:
    1. <a href="http://www.divx-digest.com/software/vobsub.html">VobSub / VSFilter / DirectVobSub</a>

Make sure you download and install both VobSub (needed for subtitle extraction) and VSFilter/DirectVobSub (needed for playback).

<hr>

How to rip the subtitle files.

After you have downloaded and installed both VobSub and the VSFilter/DirectVobSub, click "Start", then click "Run", then type in either "cmd" or "command". After clicking "OK", the "MS-DOS" command prompt window will pop up. (Screen Shot Below)

We need to be in the same directory as vobsub.dll . (I did a search on my hard drive for "vobsub.dll" to see what directory it was actually in. It was in the "C:\WINDOWS\system32" directory, so I need to get to that directory in my MS-DOS prompt window.) On the "MS-DOS prompt window, type in "cd.." to change directors (every time you type cd.. and steps up/back one directory) I did that until I got back to the "C:" directory. From there you now type "cd Windows" to get to the "C:\WINDOWS" directory. Now I need to get to the "system32" directory, so I typed in "cd system 32". Ok now that we are in the same directory as "vobsub.dll", we need to type this command and press "Enter". "rundll32 vobsub.dll,Configure" (without the quotation marks!) and then press "Enter". (Screen Shot Below)

After pressing "Enter", this screen should come up. Go ahead and click the "Open" button and select the ".IFO" file of the movie you wish to extract the subtitles from. (After selecting the .IFO file, a screen will pop asking you to select a folder. It says "Approximately 30GB free space needed". Ignore 30GB of free space, just select the folder.) (Screen Shots Below)

Make sure you change/select the "Files of Type" to show .IFO files. (Screen Shot Below)

After you select the .IFO file, this screen will come up

After you select the "Folder", this screen will pop up. On the right side (the green box), it shows you all the subtitle streams that VobSub found. If you would like to remove any or add some other streams, you can just select them and press the button (to add) and the button (to remove) to add and remove streams. On the left hand side (Blue Box), here it tells you what PGC (Program Chain) was selected. By default VobSub automatically selects "Program chain no.1". Make sure "Reset time at the first included vob/cell" has a check mark in the box (Red box). After that, click the "OK" button. (Screen Shot Below)

After clicking "OK" on the previous screen, VobSub will start "Indexing" the file (time it takes will vary). After "Indexing", this screen will pop up. Select the appropriate subtitle language etc. (red box) and set the colors of your subtitles and their transparencies (blue box). You can also move them to a different spot, if you don't like were they are originally located (green box). After all that, go ahead and press the "OK" button. (Screen Shot Below)

After a while when it's done indexing press OK to get back to the filter selection. VobSub will have created 3 new files in the directory you indicated before (to save the index file). These files are named like your ifo file, for instance in our case vts_01_0.ifo, vts_01_0.idx and vts_01_0.sub. Rename these 3 files so that they have the same name as your AVI file. For instance if your AVI is called matrix.avi rename vts_01_0.ifo to matrix.ifo, vts_01_0.idx to matrix.idx and vts_01_0.sub to matrix.sub. You can also compress the .sub file using WinRar.

When VobSub gets done Indexing (times will vary), press the "OK" button to return to the "Filter Selection"
    Last edited by admin; 3 Apr 2007, 02:02 PM.
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

How to cut the video file with the VirtualDub if needed. (Optional)

Software you will need:
    1. <a href="http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_virtualdub_346.html">VirtualDub</a>

The cutting part if optional, it's only needed if you need to split the AVI files onto 2 CDs.

Guide for this part is located <a href="http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/cutavi.html">here</a>.
    Last edited by admin; 17 Dec 2005, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• jmet
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2002

How to playback the video with ripped subtitles.

After completing the previous steps, you should be left with a ".idx and .sub" file. Go ahead and move your video file (.avi or other) to the same directory (or vise versa, move your .idx and .sub files to the directory of your .avi file). Make sure all your files have the same name (Rename them if you have to). (Screen Shot Below)

After that go ahead and double click your video file (.avi or similar) and it should now play with subtitles. Not all players (ie.Windows Media Player, Nero Showtime, etc.) will be able to play it with the subtitles. That is why I recommend <a href="http://www.divx-digest.com/software/media_player_classic.html">Media Player Classic (MPC)</a>. If you have MPC, right click the .avi file, then choose "Open With", and choose <a href="http://www.divx-digest.com/software/media_player_classic.html">Media Player Classic (MPC)</a>. (Screen Shot Below)

Thats it! It should now play with the subtitles. (Screen Shot Below)

Last edited by admin; 17 Dec 2005, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• jxsilicon9
        • Nov 2006

How do you sync the subtitles with the video? I'm playing a movie with vlc player. But the subs are way off from the movie.

Comment

• celtic_druid
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Dec 2005

When ripping vobsubs, they should already be in sync since if they weren't then they would have been out of sync on the original DVD. Perhaps you are using subs/video that aren't from the same DVD? If you could explain the steps you took. Are the subs actually vobsubs (idx/sub) or something else?

Also people might want to use VSRip for ripping since VOBSub was replaced some years back (although some of the tools never got replaced).

Comment

• mtc
            • Feb 2009

Thank you for sharing this with us. It's really helpful, but I got this message.

What should I do?

Comment

• Jose_Hernandez
              • Apr 2020

Originally Posted by celtic_druid
              When ripping vobsubs, they should already be in sync since if they weren't then they would have been out of sync on the original DVD. Perhaps you are using subs/video that aren't from the same DVD? If you could explain the steps you took. Are the subs actually vobsubs (idx/sub) or something else?

Also people might want to use VSRip for ripping since VOBSub was replaced some years back (although some of the tools never got replaced).
              The same thing happened to me but I'll see if it's what you say, anyway thanks for the tutorial, although I don't know if you're still active in this forum ulgares hacia arribaulgares hacia arriba

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎