X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

New Keyboad Layout Introduced

John Parkinson thinks the world has been tied to an Industrial Age keyboard for long enough.

One of a long line of entrepreneurs and scientists who have been outraged by the seeming illogic of the standard QWERTY keyboard, the 62-year-old electrical engineer is showing off a new, rival keyboard design next month at the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

He touted the idea at CES last year, too, but this time, he has actual keyboards that will be released to distributors in February. After years of hunt-and-peck typing, he's convinced that there is room for change and that if he can show the way, bigger companies might follow.

"For the longest time, I thought, like everyone else, there's nothing you can do about QWERTY," Parkinson said. "In the end, some ideas occurred to me, and I decided to do something about it myself."

Like many of those that have come before, Parkinson's New Standard Keyboards are arranged alphabetically but with a twist. Instead of lining up the letters all the way across, he splits the keyboard in two, like most ergonomic keyboards. He then assigns the first half of the alphabet to the left hand and the second half to the right. Credit & More Info here
    Last edited by jmet; 23 Dec 2005, 08:43 AM.
  • bigmacnc
    • Oct 2005

QWERTY keyboards evolved from the days of mechanical typewriters. The people were typing faster than the mechanics of the typewriter causing keys to hang so it was designed to slow down the typing. Then touch key came along as typewriters became more stable. By the time the computer became popular, there was so many trained typists that they did not dare change it, kind of the way Microsoft did with Windows and DOS for so many years.

Mack

Comment

• soup
      Just Trying To Help
      • Nov 2005

That's impressive I hope he succeeds.

Comment

• TreeFrog
        TreeFrog
        • Dec 2005

I seem to recall another keyboard layout called DVORK ( or smiliar), I believe it still has friends in low places.
        I invest almost 45 hours a week at my computer/keyboard and I must admit the idea of having to 're-train' (groan) my typing skills seems a little daunting, but if it means a better typing experinece with less strain, then more power to you, man!

Comment

• Derree
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Jul 2005

I just don't know if I could get used to a keyboard like that..I am so used to the old style..and Jmet you are the king of info!! You must spend some serious time on line!
          sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
          good
          -------------------------------------------

Comment

• splean
            • Jan 2006

I dont like it. Ill never be able to get used to that. Ill stick with what I have now.

Comment

• cynthia
              Super Moderatress
              • Jan 2004

Looks like it's time to replace my current keyboard. That one is from the stone age...

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
                It Was The Dog, I Swear!
                • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by splean
                I dont like it. Ill never be able to get used to that. Ill stick with what I have now.
                I think that the designer's intention is NOT for people to just "get used to it" or for people to retrain their typing skills. The new keyboard would obviously be for a new generation to learn.

I do agree that it should not be changed, at least for english speaking users. I noticed years ago that the arrangement of keys on the qwerty keyboard has an advantage for english users. It seems to make it so that the most commonly used english words require the use of both hands, reducing the amount of typing burden given to any one hand.

If the new keyboard were to be adopted and taught, I'm sure the new generation of keyboard users would not have any problems with it.
                My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• BR7
                  He is coming to your little town!
                  • Aug 2005

Honestly I don't think it would take long to learn if you know the order of your alphabet you got half the battle won already

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• splean
                    • Jan 2006

^ Im a pretty quick typer only because I know where all the key's are, I dont have to look at my keyboard when typing. If I were to use that one I'd have to ofcourse.. I'd get annoyed typing so slow.

Comment

• TNT
                      DVD Shrinker
                      • Jan 2004

The Dvorak keyboard is a far superior design to the QWERTY. Nothing gets me riled up like the stupidity of the QWERTY. Basically in the beginning, there were several keyboard layouts, but the two most popular were the Dvorak and the QWERTY. As mentioned above, the QWERTY was designed to INTENTIONALLY slow the typist down! If you notice, of the most popular "Wheel of Fortune" letters; N,S,T,R,L,E only two of them are in the home row. And we have the MOST useful ; key in the home row. What is with the ; key!?! The idiot who designed the thing instead of coming up with a way to make his typewriter better, decided to slow us down. One of his selling points which is totally useless is the fact that you can type the word TYPEWRITER entirely in the upper row. WHOOPEE! Unfortunately for us the QWERTY brand sold better and the rest is as they say, history. There was a movement later to bring back the Dvorak but obviously it has failed. The Dvorak is a much more efficient layout in which the fingers are in the "home" (middle) row about 70% of the time. By comparison, I think the QWERTY is close to a third (I'm doing this by memory so I might be a bit off with the numbers.) Anyway, when they used to have typing competitions, the Dvorak typists would always win hands down (literally, they didn't have to move their hands around as much). I believe there is a relatively easy way to set-up your keyboard to the Dvorak layout, although I have never done so, for fear of not being able to type on the more common idiotic keyboard. I'm waiting for the day when a chief engineer sits down and finds a keyboard to exclaim "How quaint", and then tears away.
                      Last edited by TNT; 11 Jan 2006, 12:42 PM.
                      Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-Holder.
                      I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape. - George Carlin

How to choose an HDTV, Step by Step

Comment

• geno888
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Dec 2005

I don't know if a new layout is better or more efficient, but I know for sure that will be very difficult for me to learn a new layout.

For this reason I don't like anything different from QWERTY.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                          NOT an online superstore
                          • Oct 2005

I am happy with the normal keyboard... I worked hard enough to get an A in Keyboarding class
                          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                          My DVD Collection

Comment

• TNT
                            DVD Shrinker
                            • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
                            I am happy with the normal keyboard... I worked hard enough to get an A in Keyboarding class
                            Perhaps you wouldn't have had to work so hard had we adopted the Dvorak layout.

Humans are creatures of habit. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
                            Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-Holder.
                            I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape. - George Carlin

How to choose an HDTV, Step by Step

Comment

• IndianPrincess
                              Wild~N~Crazy
                              • Dec 2005

@Cynthia I like the pic!

I agree that we should keep what we have. Can you imagine being at the hospital and waiting longer,cause someone has to look for keys.
                              IndianPrincess

Smile and the world smiles with you.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎