• Mar 2004

they usually have component outputs too
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• toomanycats
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Apr 2005

Very Interesting. I still wonder how many people are buying HDTV's and Tuners, combined or otherwise that are not HDCP compatible. I have a few friends that I have warned about this and found that their upscaling DVD player's would not play at 1080i or 720p because their TV's did not return the HDCP signal to their DVD player. I have posted on this subject before but never have had any responses which made me wonder if people are really are watching hi-def. If the cable or satellite Hi-def providers elect to stream HDCP with their signals you will see a lot of people out of luck if the TV does not respond with the appropriate signal. HDCP is an attempt to limit the quality of recordings. DVD's that have Macrovision removed, as well as other protections, do not activate the HDCP of the upscaling DVD players so they can then upscale the DVD to 1080i or 720p, which is the primary reason I back up all of my DVD's at no less than 95%, ( or back them up at all for that matter), I have a Sanyo projector that is 4 years old and with the DVD player upscaled at 1080i there is a definite improvement. But I guess I am beating a dead horse because I have yet to hear anything on this forum about it. Meanwhile HDCP is here. Be careful for discontinued or reduced price Plasma or LCD TV's, they may not be HDCP compatible and few salesman even know what it is, though on the new sets they make a point of mentioning it.

Comment

• toomanycats
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Apr 2005

I should have said not much interest in HDCP, ( except from the usual people that are "up" on everything), I mean the general populous, juding from the number of hits on the subject, I humbly apologize.

Comment

• rago88
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Aug 2005

upscale dvd.....

TMC,
          I was not too informative about all this as I think I started this thread yesterday
          I was off work today and spent most of it [bout 7 hrs]researching upscale dvd players and here is what I learned..[I have a fabulous looking hd plasma but my dvd's don't shine anymore so I'm on a mission,lol]

One of the more popular ones, Zenith DVB318 is still out there, but will not convert to 1080i via component as it did 6-8 months ago. It would bypass Macro thru component but by law it cannot be sold that way anymore..Not a problem since the fix is to d/l the .bin file from back then, copy to a cd-r, insert, and it is now ready to view 1080i resolutions. around 128.00
          [did I mention that unless you do the firmware downgrade, your component connection will knock you down to the standard 480p output? that is how they are being manufactured and shipped to be used also with either HDMI or DVI..
          DVD players no longer allow upconverting or upscaling through component video outputs due to copyright laws regarding analog video output.
          The only other one that I know of that as of today will upscale to 1080i thru component along with hdmi/dvi is the NeuNeo HVD2085. The latest model will even convert to 1080p if your tv can display that resolution. 245.00

the OPPO Digital OPDV971H will upconvert but only thru DVI and I think hdmi...200.00

Now whether the above converting is true HD which prob is not, is another discussion which doesn't matter to me for now since my original question here yesterday was how to make my standard dvd's look better on a Panasonic 1080i Plasma.. [I;m like a relentless bird dog when I want something and need to research.
          thought I would pass this on....
          Tony
          Last edited by rago88; 31 Dec 2005, 03:05 AM.

Comment

• toomanycats
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Apr 2005

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/exper..._firmware.html This is the link for the DVI and Component firmware. I would download both in case one needs to switch, ya know. Thanks for all the research, I get obsessive like that too (Which irritates the hell out of my wife) though in all honesty I didn't know about the firmware update/dow grade. Thanks.

Comment

• toomanycats
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Apr 2005

The link didn't copy right here it is again.

Comment

• rago88
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Aug 2005

firmware for zenith

T m c
                You remind me of myself..
                If a subject comes up, you want to have an answer just so's ya can and you will look to high heaven for the info..lol
                anyway,

the 2nd .bin download will take your dvd software back to component upscaleing for 1080i resolution which you would do If you bought a zenith in the last 6 months.

the 1st bin d/l would be if you had the original unit and :NOW plan to use DVI to connect to your new digital HD tv. This would render component connection back to 480p resolutions but not a problem since you would only add this newer firmware so that you could DVI from player to tv...
                Myself, though it costs more, plan to go with the NeuNeo since I'm not a big fan anymore of American brand electronics like RCA, Magnavox etc although my Plextor 16x burner has never left me down for more than 700 backups. maybe plextor is Japanese designed?made?
                gonna check that right now in case someone else asks me..
                :Also the NeuNeo can convert to 1080p if needed.
                Tony/PA
                Last edited by rago88; 31 Dec 2005, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• toomanycats
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Apr 2005

rago88, I don't know if you ever read any other post I had but thought to let you know I do own a the Zenith DVB318 which is hooked up to my Sanyo PLCXW15 LCD projector. I have been very happy with this unit. I needed and use component as my projector is about 20 feet from my DVD player and HDMI signals will degrade in that distance. I would recomend this DVD player for use with component output but DVI as I have read it has issues with the downgraded firmware in relation to the digital output which I don't use.I have owned this DVD player for about 8 months with no problems.

Comment

• toomanycats
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2005

One more thing, I installed the downgraded firmware, it does work and has eliminated a major reason why I backed up DVD's to begin with. I tried it today. Life just gets better.

Comment

• rago88
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Aug 2005

Glad to hear the downgrade worked.......
                      I'm sure the zenith is and has been a decent player as all american made electronics can't all be crappy...
                      I drive imports ever since I was a subaru mechanic back in the day so guess I'm partial..
                      your right about the dvi having issues but again, we seem to both be in a component mode...... how much better are your dvd's playing on the zenith and are they originals or backups?

Comment

• toomanycats
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Apr 2005

To anyone using this firmware. Make sure you rename the file (before you put it on a CD-r) to "lgromout.bin " or it will not load. Whichever file you use.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                          NOT an online superstore
                          • Oct 2005

I am using coaxial. For the simple reason that my parents are clueless about how to work a DVD player, so I got them an automated source selector - in which you just turn on the device you want, put the TV on channel 3, and viola! it works. I know the quality sucks, but I do not have HD or anything, so I do not mind.
                          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                          My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡