X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

The Return of the C:\ Prompt?

Microsoft has big plans for the trusty old C:\ prompt. For its upcoming Windows Vista operating system, the company is developing a new command-line interface, or shell--the text-based controls typically accessed by clicking Command Prompt (under Start Menu, Programs, Accessories) in Windows XP.

Code-named Monad, the new shell will enable a host of new programs known as scripts--something at which rival Unix operating systems have historically excelled. While these new commands and scripts will interest primarily administrators and power users, less-technical types may benefit from Monad scripts that could circulate on the Internet as Unix scripts do. For example, a Monad script might quickly reorganize files and directories based on their name or creation date--a task that can take a fair bit of manual labor in Windows Explorer. Credit: PC World
  • RTaylor
    • Jan 2006

It rocks quite nicely too...

You can even do an ls in it.

Comment

• techreactor
      Banned
      • Jul 2005

Good, I am already used to the command prompt, batch and scripts and use it whereever I can, its much faster.

I look forward to it.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

You can do a command prompt in Windows XP as well, the same way. I am not good with those, so the new one is probably different. Just thought that I'd point that out.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• RTaylor
          • Jan 2006

It's not exactly the same. :} For one thing... this one's being actively developed. There's not a huge amount of functionality without additional programs in the old shell. ...gnu utilities, list, bmp2avi, dta, etc... Though I don't think the video capabilities are there you could add them with msencoder, avisynth, the aforementioned utilities, etc... The new shell would let you use them a little more efficiently as well.

MSH is focused at the scripting side of things. A lot of the commands are specifically geared to that. You get a lot more control and a lot more capability. You could get some real interactivity going with this one.

Last edited by RTaylor; 4 Jan 2006, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎