Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Power Calibration error??

Default Power Calibration error??

I haven't used my DVD Writer in a few weeks. Tried to use it today, and it won't burn anything to a disc. It will say burn process failed, then when I look at the log it says "power calibration error". I thought perhaps it was a cheap disc, or faulty disc. I've now tried five different discs, 3 of which are different brands. (they are not the cheap 100x bundles either. These are Imation, Memorex, and Maxell discs)

Is the drive dead?

I'm trying to attach the log file:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Unavailable

cmc's are known to give problems , try verbatim or taiyo yuden

I've used these brand discs for over a year without any problem on the same computer and drive which leads me to think there's something else. I don't know if these discs that have failed are still usable or not, I'm hoping to explore other options rather than waste any more discs.

Not a god of digital video blutach's Avatar

Corn's advice is good knownote.

Read and implement the Golden Rules of Burning. Also, see here. And update your firmware - see here. Slow down your burn.

Regards

I seen that error before.Ended up replacing my drive, funning thing is it could read and rip dvd.s ok and burn cd's ,but not dvd's

I tried the same discs in a secondary computer,I found there was actually no data written on them from the problem burner.(at least i'm not wasting discs) I was able to burn normally with the same discs that failed with the other system/drive.

I'll check all the cables and make sure they're secure as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mill
    I seen that error before.Ended up replacing my drive, funning thing is it could read and rip dvd.s ok and burn cd's ,but not dvd's
    I'm afraid that may be my problem. This is the second drive I've had on this system. The first did exactly as you said yours did. I will NEVER buy a sony dvd burner again.

by no means ,dont think im suggesting its your burner, im just here to learn and share some of my experiences, i really dont know a thing about pc,s execpt things somtimes, dont work together, there is alot of good help here on the forum. Chewy, Cynthia, Anonymez, Lt Columbo ,admin Blutach,Uncas Ms, Tnt, jmet just to name a few, they got me out of jams allready,and the list goes on and on.If i forgot someone please forgive me its just that i have sooooo many problems.
    Last edited by mill; 1 Jan 2006 at 12:17 PM

Thanks for everyone's help on this. On the off chance something I'd loaded in the past few weeks had screwed up something, I did a system restore back to a date that I KNEW the burner was working. And lo and behold, it now works again. (using the same discs as I was trying before)

I did learn from you guys that I'm not using great DVD+R's, and I'm greatful for that! I thought the "brand name" discs were good, and since you guys mentioned they weren't great, I'm switching to the ones you recommended.

I love this forum! I'd be lost without it!
    thanks again!

Super Moderator

Existing drivers:
    File 'Drivers\ADPU160M.SYS': Ver=v3.60a (Lab01_N(johnstra).010529-2218), size=101888 bytes, created 8/17/2001 2:07:32 PM
    File 'Drivers\CDRALW2K.SYS': Ver=6.2.0.132 , size=24698 bytes, created 10/22/2003 8:15:02 PM
    it would be interesting to see if system restore got rid of these

Free physical memory: 57MB (59216kB)
    or changed this value?

well allright knownnote, glad to hear it all worked out.

I had this same error once before. It turned out to be my power supply. swapped it out and it fixed the problem. I guess my burner wasnt getting enough juice.

Thread Information