Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XJeepguy
    • Dec 2005

Hoping Someone Can Solve My Headache

Hello everyone , I'm new here and here goes my first question . I got a Pioneer 16X DL Burner for Christmas and Im about to go crazy . I've made one successful DVD so far and a bunch of coasters since . The first one I made , was a .avi file converted to dvd format with DVD Santa and burned with Nero useing Memorex -R media . The next day I tried basicaly the same thing with a larger file ( actualy it was 2 avi files spiced together ) and useing nero again , it started to burn but seems its not actualy doing anything . So today I tried DVD Shrink and am trying to make a backup of our Aviator DVD we have here . DVD Shrink did its thing and all looked well , it opened up CopyDVD and started its process but it is doing the same thing as the last few ones have , starts going and you can hear the disc spinning but isnt moving past the 1% mark and its been 28 minutes of that now . Is it the media ? If thats the case why did the first one work so well and basicaly nothing has worked since . I notice the log from CopytoDVD as it sits now and I notice it does say media failed or something , if thats the case I wonder why the disc is still spinning in the drive and the progress is still running , shouldnt I get a failure message now? Sorry for all the questions and I've read a lot so far , but dvd backup is a new hobby and not going well . Also I can burn avi files with the writer no problems on blank cdr media .

Thanks for any suggestions , its really appreciated .

XJ

I tried to copy and paste the log message but I see thats not going to work
  • XJeepguy
    • Dec 2005

Well I just tried to do a dvd disc copy of the first ( and only) succesful dvd I made and here's a screen capture of Nero , and this is what basicaly what happens to any of the software I have been playing with . Goes to between 1-3 % and just stops there .

Thanks

XJ
    Attached Files

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

post a nero log

Comment

• BR7
        He is coming to your little town!
        • Aug 2005

Post a log as Chewy stated and make sure you have the latest updates from <a href="http://www.nero.com/nero6/enu/nero-up.php">Nero</a> and make sure your <a href="http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php">Firmware</a> is updated
        Last edited by BR7; 2 Jan 2006, 07:58 PM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• XJeepguy
          • Dec 2005

I will do that as soon as I find the issue thats causing Nero not to save the log . I didnt want to get any old log data mixed in so I selected all old log data and deleted that . Now it doesnt seem to want to save any info.
          One thing after another with this project .

I just have a funny feeling its crappy media . Im going to go out today and buy a couple Maxell -R's and try one of those . From what I was reading late last night , media made by CMC MAG ( what I have now) doesnt come with high marks . One webiste I visited had it in thier "landfill" catagorey .

I'll let ya know how it goes , thanks for the replies .

XJ

Comment

• XJeepguy
            • Dec 2005

Update

Well I went to town and bought a 5 pack of Maxell -R's and am trying one right now and it seems to be doing the exact same thing . It seems to write the lead-in then thats it . I checked the DMA settings as well and they are fine and enabled . Question : If this drive was bad , would it still write cdr's ok ? Because it does work fine for cdr's . The firmware is the most current as well . Dunno man . I'll try and get that log thing working in nero and post it .

Thanks

XJ

I did manage to find the CopytoDVD log , below

1/2/2006 1:22:20 PM info Lead-in burning time (mS) 4001
            1/2/2006 1:22:16 PM info Start Write Buffer
            1/2/2006 1:22:16 PM info Start writing...
            1/2/2006 1:22:16 PM info Buffer under-run proof enabled
            1/2/2006 1:22:16 PM info Init success: DVD-R SAO
            1/2/2006 1:22:16 PM info Writing speed requested x8.0, effective x8.0
            1/2/2006 1:22:15 PM info Writing session #1 and closing disc.
            1/2/2006 1:22:15 PM info Open Image file "C:\Documents and Settings\Jeepzilla\Application Data\CopyToDvd\COPYTODVD_01022006_132215_609.cache "
            1/2/2006 1:22:15 PM info Required sector size : 2286112
            1/2/2006 1:22:15 PM info Available sector size : 2298496
            1/2/2006 1:22:15 PM info Available write speed: x8.0, x6.0, x4.0
            1/2/2006 1:22:15 PM info Media ID: RITEKG05
            1/2/2006 1:22:15 PM info Cache garbage cleaned: 1 files (2.16 Mb.)
            1/2/2006 1:22:15 PM info 120mm DVD
            1/2/2006 1:22:15 PM info Detected media $0011 : DVD-R
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info Media has been found ready but media test has failed. Starting poll mode
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info Opening tray: media (DVD-ROM) is not blank or erasable, Only blank is allowed for ISO or DVD-VIDEO
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info Finished browsing files - Data size 4.36 Gb.
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info File scan complete: 10 files, 2 directories
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info Start Browsing file structures
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info IDE Controler manufacturer : NVIDIA Corporation
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info IDE Controler Description : NVIDIA NForce 2(tm) SPP/IGP ATA Controller
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info Location : PCI bus 0, device 9, function 0
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info Support Media : DVD-R, DVD-RW Seq., DVD-RW RO, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW, DL DVD+R, DL DVD-R
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info Writing device used : 0:1:0 - PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D 1.37 [D] (Ide)
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.35, Internal revision 35 - Async. Access mode
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info Using DVD Video creation mode.
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info ParamStr 2 = "/volumename=AVIATOR"
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info ParamStr 1 = "/dvdvideo=C:\Documents and Settings\Jeepzilla\Desktop\DVD\VIDEO_TS"
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info ParamStr 0 = "C:\Program Files\VSO\copytodvd\copytocd.exe"
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info Version 3.1.2.136
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info ExeName : "C:\Program Files\VSO\copytodvd\copytocd.exe"
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info OS : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
            1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info 32 bits native system
            1/2/2006 1:21:30 PM info ******************** Report session started ********************
            Last edited by XJeepguy; 3 Jan 2006, 07:50 AM.

Comment

• blutach
              Not a god of digital video
              • Oct 2004

Originally Posted by XJeepguy
              1/2/2006 1:22:15 PM info Media ID: RITEKG05
              These media ID Codes are known to be highly problematic. Get Verbatims or Taiyo Yudens.

Read and implement the Golden Rules of Burning.

Regards
              Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
              [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info IDE Controler manufacturer : NVIDIA Corporation
                1/2/2006 1:21:31 PM info IDE Controler Description : NVIDIA NForce 2(tm) SPP/IGP ATA Controller
                these will be problematic

Comment

• XJeepguy
                  • Dec 2005

Im starting to believe theres more than the media at fault . I went to Pioneers site and read thier media compatability pdf

hXXp://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/277206644R10_MediaSpeeds-DVR-110.pdf

( replace XX with tt )

and these CMC MAG's ( the memorex I was useing ) are almost at the top of thier chart .

Chewy , what can I do to fix what you said in your above post ? I think I could go buy 5 Verbatims tonight and get the same results as the Maxell's and the CMC's .

Thanks

XJ

Originally Posted by Chewy
                  these will be problematic

Comment

• blutach
                    Not a god of digital video
                    • Oct 2004

They might be at the top of their chart, but all they wanna do is sell media.

They are at the bottom of our chart and for good reason. They are junk.

Regards
                    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

the nvidia may or may not be a problem, when it becomes apparent it is,
                      we'll need to address it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• XJeepguy
                        • Dec 2005

On the link to the Media ID Quality Guide it says Maxell is second and thats why I bought those but I understand now that these are made by Ritek according to the log I posted ? I did look all over the packaging for any hint of whom mfger'd these and it said nothing . The Maxell's , Verbatims where all made in Taiwan , thats all it said on the packaging . So how do you tell what your actualy getting when buying blanks ?

Also in regards to the Nvidia controller , wouldnt the drive work lousy burning anything if that were the case ? Aside from the issues Im having with DVD media , it flies through the burning of cdr's right now .

Thanks

XJ

Originally Posted by blutach
                        They might be at the top of their chart, but all they wanna do is sell media.

They are at the bottom of our chart and for good reason. They are junk.

Regards

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

if the times fit the speed then you are probably ok,
                          but when a 8x burn of a dvd takes 20 minutes?

Comment

• XJeepguy
                            • Dec 2005

Ok thanks , Im going to investigate this ata controller driver more . 20 minutes ? If I can burn the lead-in I'm doing well . Might be something to it because after the burn is in obvious failure I have to even unplug the pc to make the dvd drive stop , it just spins and spins and wont quit no matter what .

Thanks Man , appreciate your help !

XJ

Originally Posted by Chewy
                            if the times fit the speed then you are probably ok,
                            but when a 8x burn of a dvd takes 20 minutes?

Comment

• XJeepguy
                              • Dec 2005

Good News !

Chewy , I looked into the control drivers and went and downloaded an updated set from Nvidia and havent had an issue since . I've tested several backups here now on both the Memorex and Maxell DVD-R's and both work fine ( I'll still stick with better brand names in the future) . Big THANKS to anyone here that tried to help . My headache is gone

The burning speed was awesome as well

XJ

The only thing that still puzzles me is why the drive burned cdr's so fast and easily , yet the DVD-R's was a no go till I got the new controller driver
                              Last edited by XJeepguy; 4 Jan 2006, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎