Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrazyChad
    • Jan 2006

Home made DVDs vs Big Company DVDs

I have one (12th) customer's and her 5 families's dvd players will not play either home-made photo-montage video DVD-R or DVD+R but it works for me and my families/friends. I have already read most of the forum. I will get down to the point. I wonder how Hollywood Video DVDs work 99.99% on everybody's dvd players while we can not ? What programs did 'big companies' use to burn on 'what kind' of DVDs to use with and will works 99.99% for everybody (such as Blockbuster, Hollywood Video etc)
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Not sure what you mean, but it has to do with what kind of DVD you burn on. I use DVD+R's, but those will not work in DVD-R only players. Same is true in reverse. But, DVD+R supports what is called "changing the booktype", and if you set it to DVD-ROM, it will act the same as a DVD from Blockbuster, etc.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• kronos
      • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by CrazyChad
      What programs did 'big companies' use to burn on 'what kind' of DVDs to use with and will works 99.99% for everybody (such as Blockbuster, Hollywood Video etc)
      Mass produced DVDs aren't burnt, they're stamped aluminum(or other metal substance). The reason alot of the older DVD players can not read burnt media is because they weren't designed to read through the different variations (pits and lands) of dye, they were only designed to read the pits and lands off of the highly reflective surface of an aluminum disc.

I could be wrong, but I think that's the reason. If I'm wrong, well

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

With the right burner, firmware and bitsetting on premium media
        almost perfect compatility can be achieved.

I would consider this to be a minimal standard for professional recording.

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

kronos is correct. commercial dvd's are stamped not burnt and set to dvd-rom.
          Chewy is correct their is no substitute for good media, burner etc. some dvd players do play burnt media better

Comment

• jmet
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2002

"Stamped" can also be said as "Pressed". I and many others refer to them as "Pressed DVD's".

Comment

Working...