X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuneo
    • Jan 2004

DVD Players that like -R's

Hi;

As we know many backup's we make are incompatable with different home DVD player's...

Sometimes expensive DVD player's won't play backup's....where cheep Chinese/Korean player's will.

I'm looking for a decent home DVD player that will be compatable with -R's (and probabley +R's too but not critical),and does UPconverting to 1080i as many are marketed now.

Any suggestion's///
    Thanlks
    K
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Most players these days will read both formats, but I am not sure what you mean by "UPconverting to 1080i".
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Cambion7
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by kuneo
      Hi;

As we know many backup's we make are incompatable with different home DVD player's...

Sometimes expensive DVD player's won't play backup's....where cheep Chinese/Korean player's will.

I'm looking for a decent home DVD player that will be compatable with -R's (and probabley +R's too but not critical),and does UPconverting to 1080i as many are marketed now.

Any suggestion's///
      Thanlks
      K
      I have an Apex that I bought from Wallyworld for about 40 bucks a couple years back, and it reads DVD-R, +R and +R/DL. If you're backing up these DVD's or digital media yourself, it would be best IMHO to do it to DVD+R with a burner that supports bitsetting, then set the booktype to DVD-ROM to increase the likelyhook your stand-alone player will play it properly.
      Like the info in these forums? Want to contribute? Click here to Register for Free!

"In space, nobody can hear you cha cha cha...."
      - Confidence

Comment

• druqs
        • Jan 2006

I was just about to create a thread with his exact question kuneo, I've been looking at a Sony DVD player that upconverts to 720P, 1080i and have wondered about it's compatibility with my +R discs. I'm basically just looking for a good DVD player that upconverts and has a good chance of playing all my movies.

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

This Sony player plays both -R/RW and +R/RW and upconverts to 720/1080i.

Shop online at Best Buy in your country and language of choice. Best Buy provides online shopping in a number of countries and languages.

Comment

• druqs
            • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by jmet
            This Sony player plays both -R/RW and +R/RW and upconverts to 720/1080i.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1118839101053
            Perfect, that is exactly the one I was looking at too. Thx

Comment

• techreactor
              Banned
              • Jul 2005

Most philips models will play DVD+/-R/RW and except for the lowest ones, others will play Divx also. In my experience they play DVD's even if it is authored in non-compliant way also (Blu will not be happy on this comment ) and scratched ones also.

Comment

• kuneo
                • Jan 2004

Thanks everyone!

Here's another angle......even though some will play -r's +r's ...I was wondering if player's have difficulty with "Shrinked Backup's" ? even though they're rated to play -r's etc.. on the spec sheet.

Interested in Samsung HD 950 also......anyone have one of these yet?

The Sony may be just the ticket....thanks....as long as it plays "shrinked" disc's too.

K

Comment

• geno888
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Dec 2005

Shrinked backup usually don't have problems; when there are problems usually these are due to a bad burn or to a bad media, but shrinked stuff will work on standalones

Comment

• jmet
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2002

I wanna say I came across one at walmart the other night for about $78.00 . I'll see if I can find a link for it. Think it was a cyberdome brand.

Edit: Found it, its for $79.83 . It also play both -R and +R. - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3610578
                    Last edited by jmet; 8 Jan 2006, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• sonic_emperor
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Mar 2003

just wanted to say that,ive been burning for quite a time on -r discs,not knowing there is a difference,and i borowed my copys to lot of my friends who have different brand dvd players(vivax,philips,quadro,jvc,sony,samsung),all the movies worked just fine...i guess im lucky or what?i personaly think that nowdays all dvdplayers will play any media you "present" them.
                      cro-anthem-video

Comment

• kuneo
                        • Jan 2004

reason i'm asking about compatibility is...the friend who wants to upgrade has a Panasonic that won't play "shrinked" backups...(I know I brought one over to his house).

It's not a burning problem,as the backups play fine....it does matter which home dvd player you have,and he just got a new HDTV,so throwing in upconverting would be a plus too.

I'll probabley recommend the Sony that jmet found.

I might try the Samsung myself as it does SACD/DVDA too...something my friend doesn't need...but I do

Thanks again

Comment

• soup
                          Just Trying To Help
                          • Nov 2005

That's funny because as well as others in the house my main dvd player is a Panasonic and as long as I don't miss a step like checking the booktype before burning it plays -R's,+R's & +R DL with no problem at all cheap & good media.

Comment

• jmet
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2002

"and as long as I don't miss a step like checking the booktype before burning it plays -R's,+R's & +R DL with no problem at all "
                            You cannot "booktype" -R media.

Comment

• sonic_emperor
                              Digital Video Expert
                              Digital Video Expert
                              • Mar 2003

its all in your head,if you believe it,dvdplayer will do as well
                              cro-anthem-video

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎