Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • youthinksoo
    • Oct 2005

Next Generation DVD

With the next generation on DVD among us next year Blu-Ray and HD DVD coming out how long do you guys think dvds will still be around. Do you think they will stop making them completely? Even when HD DVD and Blu-Ray becomes standard? I just think this whole next geneartion is gonna be a big mess. Some movies only coming to Blu-Ray some only to HD DVD because of film studios not signing to both. People will most likely be forced to buy both kind of players. Tons of advanced encryption. Not readable on computers. I worry about the future.
  • techreactor
    Banned
    • Jul 2005

I think it will take time initially but as the cost of production for these new HD-DVD/Blu ray comes down and as more ppl adapt to the hardware required to view them, the DVD will die out.

Same as with CD to DVD.

Comment

• soup
      Just Trying To Help
      • Nov 2005

Just remember how long ago they said vinyl would die now admittedly they no longer make them but they still sell record players.There's a whole pile of people out there with vhs & vcr's that might never buy a dvd or dvd player.If you put a product on the market obviously you want to sell it and I don't think initially the majority of people are going to be able to afford these products unless they come out at a really decent price.Then it will take time for the companies to decide the majority of people are not buying.It will take a while technology is great but unless the masses can afford it you end up like Sony & beta.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

dvd-5 is fine by me. don't think i'll ever go to blu-ray or HD dvd.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Derree
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jul 2005

I'm with you Lt........I say if it ain't broke don't fix it and really dvd-5 is just fine right now..I don't see a need to go forward yet...not until we can get holographic projectors in the living room
          sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
          good
          -------------------------------------------

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

yeah, for a guy like me it's a bloody miracle i went from tape to dvd. i'm suprised, it's because it was so cheap and the benefits of a disc compared to a tape.
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• Derree
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jul 2005

I remember wanting a dvd player for the longest time but the ex wife kept saying no...as soon as she was gone my first buy was the 5.1 system and a 27" flat screen..never been happier lol and now that I have the new Mrs accepting the fact that widescreen is better then full screen!
              sigpic

good

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

ohhh i despise full screen. can't stand it. i actually climbed one notch into the hi-tech world and sprung for a new 20" t.v last weekend. it's a real nice diamond vision low-def, round screen t.v. 99.95 at walmart. i even have a bloody remote now that works, and rca's on the t.v. no need for that pesky RF modulator anymore!
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• bigmacnc
                  • Oct 2005

Read that the next version of windows will not support our current drives. Too bad that some people will shell out the big bucks encouraging them to change formats of our current DVDs. If people do not buy te new stuff, they will keep supporting what we will buy.

Comment

• Derree
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jul 2005

Wow you are becoming a high tech machine now Lt and the fullscreen vs Widescreen thing is such an issue with me The Mrs and her mom and her sister and the best friend all want full screen and give me the 'i want the whole picture' argument...now matter how many times I tell them that they are losing picture with full screen...sigh...oh well at least in my house we only get widescreen..can't change the world I guess...
                    sigpic

good

Comment

• youthinksoo
                      • Oct 2005

yeah I agree, DVD-5 is just fine I would never switch. But my concern was that they would stop putting movies on DVD, and only put them on the HD DVD and Blu Ray. Like they don't put music on vynil anymore.

Comment

• soup
                        Just Trying To Help
                        • Nov 2005

LT I am totally proud of you but how are you going to get any excercise now that you have a remote.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by Derree
                          Wow you are becoming a high tech machine now Lt and the fullscreen vs Widescreen thing is such an issue with me The Mrs and her mom and her sister and the best friend all want full screen and give me the 'i want the whole picture' argument...now matter how many times I tell them that they are losing picture with full screen...sigh...oh well at least in my house we only get widescreen..can't change the world I guess...

Originally Posted by soup
                          LT I am totally proud of you but how are you going to get any excercise now that you have a remote.
                          thanx fellas, anybody who won't watch widescreen at my place gets sent home. i just wish the mother in law would demand full screen @soup i guess i'll have to smoke twice as many cigars, bout all i can think of
                          Columbo moments...

Comment

• splean
                            • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by soup
                            Just remember how long ago they said vinyl would die now admittedly they no longer make them but they still sell record players.There's a whole pile of people out there with vhs & vcr's that might never buy a dvd or dvd player.If you put a product on the market obviously you want to sell it and I don't think initially the majority of people are going to be able to afford these products unless they come out at a really decent price.Then it will take time for the companies to decide the majority of people are not buying.It will take a while technology is great but unless the masses can afford it you end up like Sony & beta.
                            vinyl's are still made, mainly for dj's
                            as for the next generation.. i dont see a point to it.. dvd's are just fine

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                              NOT an online superstore
                              • Oct 2005

I can't believe how my sister actually likes fullscreen. Of course I always buy her the widescreen stuff as gifts so that I can watch them too If we have a fullscreen movie, I rent the widescreen and copy it... (I think that is legal)
                              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                              Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                              My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...