How to convert .DAT format into DVD format ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alykhalil
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Apr 2005

How to convert .DAT format into DVD format ?

i there a way of converting a .dat file format into a DVD format ? i thought i did have a program by MS win media player, i think, that did this. any suggestions please. thank you
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

Is this .dat file from a vcd?
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

yeah if the .dat is from a standard VCD, simply rename it to .mpg and use that. tmpgenc will convert straight .dat files too.
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

If the above fails you can extract the mpeg video from the dat using Isobuster.

Comment

• alykhalil
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Apr 2005

thank you all...will try all ways and will update...cheers...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

glad we could help
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• alykhalil
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Apr 2005

i dont know if i just boo boo'd...i opened the DAT file in windows media player and did save as , gave it file name xyz.mpg...now its saved as a movie file which tmpeg dvd author wont recognise...

Comment

• benbryant
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Aug 2005

Hi alykhalil,
                Just double-check, hope you don't mind. Did you rename the your file by changing the file extension from .dat to .mpg or just rename the file's name? for example: from mymoviefile to mymoviefile.mpg. To change file extension accurately, you should set the windows to show file extensions by opening the Windows Explorer, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View, and remove the tick mark to disable the "Hide extensions for known file types. To change the file extension from DAT to MPG, just right-click the file, select rename, and change file extension to .mpg

Regards
                Last edited by benbryant; 10 Jan 2006, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• alykhalil
                  Platinum Member
                  Platinum Member
                  • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by benbryant
                  Hi alykhalil,
                  Just double-check, hope you don't mind. Did you rename the your file by changing the file extension from .dat to .mpg or just rename the file's name? for example: from mymoviefile to mymoviefile.mpg. To change file extension accurately, you should set the windows to show file extensions by opening the Windows Explorer, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View, and remove the tick mark to disable the "Hide extensions for known file types. To change the file extension from DAT to MPG, just right-click the file, select rename, and change file extension to .mpg

Regards
                  yeah you are right...i changed it the wrong way...i renamed it the way you mentioned...now the extension shows as .mpg and the file type shows Movie clip..this file wont even open in win movie maker

Comment

• alykhalil
                    Platinum Member
                    Platinum Member
                    • Apr 2005

i even forgot how to use isobuster...can anyone pls remind me...i have converted the movie file back to dat (converted the right way) and am trying to use isobuster but dont know how...tmpgenc wont open the dat file...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

i simply right click the file>properties, then rename it with the new extension. always works, tmpgenc always opens it.
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

• benbryant
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Aug 2005

i even forgot how to use isobuster...can anyone pls remind me...i have converted the movie file back to dat (converted the right way) and am trying to use isobuster but dont know how...tmpgenc wont open the dat file...
                        As your request: Open the movie file with Isobuster, right-click the .dat file and choose "Extract but FILTER only M2F2 Mpeg frames"

Regards

Comment

• alykhalil
                          Platinum Member
                          Platinum Member
                          • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by benbryant
                          As your request: Open the movie file with Isobuster, right-click the .dat file and choose "Extract but FILTER only M2F2 Mpeg frames"

Regards
                          when i try to open the .dat file with isobuster..that .dat file dont shows...but it shows a directory "session" and subdirectory "track" and when i right click on track and did as you said..the file is saved as mpeg or mpg but the file size is zero

Comment

• jmet
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2002

Perhaps this guide could be of some assistance: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=58699

Comment

• benbryant
                              Digital Video Master
                              Digital Video Master
                              • Aug 2005

Did you expand the Session 1 folder (the + sign), expand the Track 01, click on the red ISO logo, click on the MPEGAV folder. The VCD stores mpeg video/audio
                              in .dat extension in the MPEGAV folder. Just right-click on the .dat file and select the Extract but FILTER only M2F2 Mpeg frames and then select a new name and location where you want to save your file to

Regards

Comment

Working...