take the tower to the builder

good idea, he put it together and most memory has a lifetime warranty

tell him CHEWY SAYS
    something's not right

Comment

• soup
      Just Trying To Help
      • Nov 2005

I downloaded Memtest and have a shortcut on my desktop to rawrite.exe/MS-DOS program.If you want me to keep going just let me know what next if not I understand.I do want to thank you for going above and beyond and anonymez for pitching in.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

make a new folder and put the download in there first

For windows installation begin by downloading either the Pre-Compiled Windows package to build a boot-able floppy disk or an ISO (zip version) to create a boot-able CDROM. After the file is downloaded an extract must be done to uncompress the file(s). To extract right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract All" option. The extract option will let you choose where the files will be extracted to. To build a bootable floppy go the the folder where the files were extracted and click on the Install icon. The floppy disk will appear to be unformatted by Windows after the install is complete.

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

In program files in folder memt 32[1] there is install.bat/memtest.bin/rawrite-shortcut to MS-DOS program & also on desktop/rawrite.exe/README.txt.When I double left click on install.bat,screen pops up telling me how windows won't recognize it when it is installed and asks for me to enter target diskette drive:.The same happens when I right click & open.Now I know this is going to be a really stupid question but am I supposed to have a floppy disc here or something?Lost in noobism!!!I can see you laughing,watch your sides they might split here before we are done.

Last edited by soup; 15 Jan 2006, 04:44 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

put a new floppy disk in drive a

Comment

• soup
              Just Trying To Help
              • Nov 2005

put a new floppy disk in drive a " Done ".Can you remember way back did this make you feel sick when you found out stuff like this as a rookie?Monday morning I have to go to a good friend and a client who built this for me and explain all this.I think that is why I am trying to find out as much as I possibly can so that I am sure one way or the other wether it is me or hardware.Plus the fact I should have some knowledge on what I am operating.I just never thought I would dive this deep but I suppose it is the shallow end for you guys?

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

that's ok, they screwed up, not you!
                It might be as simple as a bios setting and a phone call, a client of mine
                hooked up a serial device to one of my builds and I had turned off serial
                devices in bios, 5 minutes and it was fixed.

Comment

• soup
                  Just Trying To Help
                  • Nov 2005

Well that makes me feel a little better but what's next do I just type in drive A?Oh and if I get it going do you have a rough idea how long it will take?I am not looking for any carved in stone guarantees here.
                  Last edited by soup; 15 Jan 2006, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

you have to boot to the floppy

Comment

• anonymez
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2004

enter the bios and change the boot order, so that floppy is first
                      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• soup
                        Just Trying To Help
                        • Nov 2005

I had a mutiny to deal with in the family because I have been kinda hogging the PC so I haven't done the test yet but you know me When I do I will post back to let you know.

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

bios: that's power user/computing 103
                          101>102>103
                          progression up the mountain
                          be very very careful there!

Comment

• soup
                            Just Trying To Help
                            • Nov 2005

Well I bit the bullet & took it to the builder this AM.He uses Everest and checked everything out.Everything checked out as to the way he set it up & he set it up that way for a reason which unfortunately right now is way beyond my scope of understanding.The good news is some of what was discussed I could actually understand because of you guys.Now I will be backing up my entire system onto the Maxtor One touch so if anything serious does occur I have backup and I will back it up on a regular basis.I will also thanks to you guys be checking Everest on a regular basis as well just in case.So while I cannot do anything until something does not work for me I want to thank you anonymez but especially you chewy because I now know a lot more because you started this thread and that I am not going to forget.I will still follow your computing class until I can't but I am staying away from BIOS.

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

cheap memory, that's what i thought

Comment

• codajohn
                                Digital Video Expert
                                Digital Video Expert
                                • Jul 2005

When I applied this procedure: Now open My Computer, right click C drive, properties, uncheck allow indexing
                                service to....... and when it tell you a file is access denied, click ignore all.
                                The message was whether I wanted to apply this change to C:/ only, or do I want to apply it to all subfolders and files as well?
                                What should I do?
                                CJ
                                CJ
                                My DVD Collection
                                Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎