• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

Blu-Ray format specs finalized

Recently, the Blu-ray Disc Association announced that the format specification for its new standard has been completed, and it is now ready to begin licensing. Both the Blu-ray Disc single and dual layer specifications have been approved.

Pioneer unveiled the first Blu-ray disc player at the Consumer electronics show in Las Vegas. It is designed to deliver 1920p x 1080p output, which is the highest of the three high-definition signals. Also, Philips unveiled its all-in-one disc burner called the TripleWriter (which supports both BD-R and B-RE, with both single layer and dual-layer recording capabilities). The TripleWriter will be available in the second half of 2006.

Movies expected to be out soon in Blu-ray format include "Four Brothers," "Sahara," "The Italian Job," "Tomb Raider" and "Mission Impossible," as well as "Mission Impossible 2" and "Mission Impossible 3."

The storage space on a single-layered Blu-Ray Disc is 25GB, and 50GB for the dual-layered disc.

http://www.blu-ray.com/images/ifa2005/panasonic_07.jpg
    http://www.blu-ray.com/images/ifa2005/philips_04.jpg
    http://www.blu-ray.com/images/ifa2005/philips_10.jpg

thats the ugliest player iv seen [ panasonic ]
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!
  • techreactor
    Banned
    • Jul 2005

another headache coming...................atleast the philips player looks better than the panasonic.

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

More pictures (both HD-DVD and Blu Ray).

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...gallery01.html

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Jeez I sure hope these don't surpass DVDs. Imagine needing 50gigs of space to copy a Blu-Ray disc. And you would need a BR-Shrink and BR-Decrypter LMAO!
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• Cambion7
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
          Jeez I sure hope these don't surpass DVDs. Imagine needing 50gigs of space to copy a Blu-Ray disc. And you would need a BR-Shrink and BR-Decrypter LMAO!
          It all depends on consumers I think. Look at Beta vs. VHS and how Beta took a nose dive. Let's hope the same happens with this new format.

Regards,
          Cambion7
          Like the info in these forums? Want to contribute? Click here to Register for Free!

"In space, nobody can hear you cha cha cha...."
          - Confidence

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

Indeed. I mean, a frickin $1500 for a player? You have got to be insane to want one! I am happy with my $50 player LOL

Plus, I don't have HDTV, so why the heck should I buy into this? It is gonna be the same crappy quality either way with my lousy TV setup

And once my camera comes in, I will take pics so you can all pity me
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
              Indeed. I mean, a frickin $1500 for a player? You have got to be insane to want one! I am happy with my $50 player LOL
              If you bought a DVD player in 1998 then it would have cost you the same similar price as that Blu Ray. I waited until 1999 and got one of the forst chinese imported players. No player at the time was below £500-£600. It still cost me £250 for a Samsung. The msot I have paid is £375 for a Sony.

I have zero interest in this new technology. I will be playing my DVD's for a long time. Anyone, who stops getting DVD's and intend to replace their whole collection is simply mad. However, after a few years once prices are down. I may get new films in HD format but it would also mean I need a HD capable projector. My current one down scales HD to DVD resolutions.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

Same here. I got a DVD player in 2001 and it was less than $100.
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• BR7
                  He is coming to your little town!
                  • Aug 2005

I am not to worried about the price I will get a player with my PS3It will be a nice way to test out the new technology

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• admin
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2001

I've moved this thread to the high def DVD forum.

A little bit of self promotion, but in the FAQ I wrote, there are some more information regarding Blu-ray and HD DVD players (one is available to pre-order already at $499), estimated prices for BD media and a fairly complete list of movies to be released for both formats this year. Here's the FAQ:

The High Definition DVD FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions on the next generation high definition DVD formats: Blu-ray, HD DVD, EVD and FVD.
                    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎